New to the forum needs some help y’all

JdoubleU

Feb 22, 2022
I have a 2021 2500 L5P

My truck had an update one morning all went well, so I thought. After about a week or two I was scrolling through my DIC and noticed that my engine hours changed.

My truck has 36622 miles and is now showing that I have 2690hrs on engine. No possible way of this.

I really don’t idle my truck due to working in oil industry. Most of the time I’m at the unit or a terminal near truck racks.

My truck runs fine but it worries me when I want to trade it in, it will harm the value. Has anyone else been through this??

I called my dealership at home they told me they had 1 2020 do the same last year.

Thanks guys

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
it's a relatively well known problem but I haven't heard of it yet for that year truck. why would you think it would hurt the value? the value is normally based on condition and miles not hours. plus you stated it went down

JdoubleU

Feb 22, 2022
it's a relatively well known problem but I haven't heard of it yet for that year truck. why would you think it would hurt the value? the value is normally based on condition and miles not hours. plus you stated it went down
No sir. The hours went way up

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
No sir. The hours went way up
I wouldn't sweat it. for all you know, the hours may reset to zero a month from now. and if I'm not mistaken, the ECM stores the hours separate from the cluster and can always be retrieved if needed. you can always take it back to the dealership who updated it and have them restore the hours. I'm guessing it's still under warranty

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I don't know a lot of people that look at the engine hours before they buy a vehicle. I'm just the opposite of you in that my truck run 12-14hrs a day. I've never once had anyone bring up engine hours. I'm in a new truck every 4 years if not less and maybe 8k hrs on them. Definitely worth seeing if the dealer can reset it. But I wouldn't bother until you're ready to sell the vehicle. My LBZ just went back to 0.