LLY: New to me LLY with turbo bark

fbh31118

Jun 12, 2009
Question for all.

I've recently purchased a 2005 CC DMax with 166,000 miles. The truck looks great and has no mods other than a 4" exhaust. It runs smooth has good power and has pretty good fuel mileage. The only issue I have is the turbo bark in between the shift points. If I get on it really hard and run it up to 70mph it will bark between each gear and belch a little extra black smoke along the way. There is no other symptoms, it has five new injectors and a fuel pressure sensor that was leaking before I bought it. I plan on giving it an oil change and fuel filter change soon but in my mind that doesn't have any thing to do with it.

Any thoughts?

fbh31118

Jun 12, 2009
Automatic trans.

Sorry, no gauges, however there are no CEL. I need to find some thing for gauges on this truck.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
You say no engine light but have you had someone scan for dtc's? I suspect the vgt is sticking or the vane position sensor is bad. Need a good scan tool with bidi control to go further

fbh31118

Jun 12, 2009
You say no engine light but have you had someone scan for dtc's? I suspect the vgt is sticking or the vane position sensor is bad. Need a good scan tool with bidi control to go further

Agreed. Also, got the trailer out of storage and pulled it home with no better results as you might expect. Seems to have more black smoke than it should at shift points in addition to the turbo bark and seems low on torque when trying to get moving.

fbh31118

Jun 12, 2009
So I went to take some video of my truck acting up, even hitched up the travel trailer as that was really making it act up last time and nothing.......I got two blips out of it that you can barely hear. :banghead: Guess I'm going to start shopping for gauges and electronics sooner rather than later:rolleyes: