New to emissions

bigboytoy426

Jun 30, 2012
grand rapids michigan
I had a lb7 before so I never had to deal with emissions but read a few articles back when the EPA started butting in and want to see how things are now. I just bought a lbz and have a few questions. I tried searching but everything was before the EPA uproar.
1. If I put exhaust on will it throw a code? Truck is 100% stock but was told some throw a egr code with aftermarket exhaust ...:confused: I see no sensors so I'm not sure how the truck would know.
2. Can I still get EGR delete tunes? Steve s tuned my last truck so I'd probably be a returning customer.
3. Will it limp if i block it without a tune?

Thanks in advance. I understand these are probably newb questions but emissions never applied to me.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
If you put exhaust on you'll probably have to put the stock one back on for inspection or split the cat in half and attach it to the new system hollowed out. Heard it done that way to pass visual inspections

sent from a galaxy far far away

bigboytoy426

Jun 30, 2012
grand rapids michigan
my state doesn't have emission tests. I was just curious if EGR delete tunes are still available and if my truck would throw a code with exhaust ( wouldn't think so seeing there is no sensors but was told "some" throw a egr code when you put aftermarket exhaust on)

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Before his egr was disabled my dad's lbz threw an egr code one time in the 5 years and 100k miles he had driven it with his exhaust and no egr delete tune. I think it was just a fluke personally.

sent from a galaxy far far away

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Exhaust wont throw a code, unhooked and blocked EGR will throw a code but no limp. I do agree with the above posted though, your tuna is a smart guy and can answer some of the other questions for you;)

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Delete the EGR and cat. Save the parts up in the attic if you ever need them, though.

Andrew

Costly Obsessions
Aug 7, 2013
delaware
mines an lbz i think the code is hit or miss honestly mine used to throw a code all the time for egr problems when i straight piped it cause its driven by back pressure to push the exhaust into the intake not enough pressure the engine computer thinks theres a problem then trips the ses light its not an actual sensor in the exhaust