New shop

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
Great story it was really nice to hear. I'm also impressed by MMLMM, who knew you'd get expert building advice here also. I hope you can get the funds together and get things finished up. Best of luck and happy holidays.

68skylark455

Larry the "Stroker"
Aug 7, 2008
Texas
www.larrysperformancepalace.com
Thanks everyone. I have a small list of the few things I need just need to get some funds and it will be done right. Thought I would just flat roof it but I really want it to look like it is part of my house and the wifey said I shouldn't just settle I should do it the way I really want it and she said she would help me save:thumb:. Merry CHRISTmas to all.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Thanks everyone. I have a small list of the few things I need just need to get some funds and it will be done right. Thought I would just flat roof it but I really want it to look like it is part of my house and the wifey said I shouldn't just settle I should do it the way I really want it and she said she would help me save:thumb:. Merry CHRISTmas to all.

You cuould just build some 2x6 trusses, and skip the ridge beam...

Then the heard wont have to carry a ridge beam and you can use a smaller header. Might save you quite a bit If you can come up with 2x6s for trusses. You will still need posts on each side of the header, but you can put three 2x's together.

It all should be calc'd out, but this will be safer and better than what you have, should be a little cheaper too.

RIDMAX

Feb 18, 2010
Cranston, RI
definetely wanna beef up that ridge to carry the roof load and keep the ridge from sagging and bowing the walls especially without using collar ties. It also doesn't look like you cut a birds mouth (notch) in the rafters where they meet the exterior walls which locks the rafters to the top plate making for a stronger and more solid connection. MMLMM had another good point about the garage door header, depending on the span you probably need a minimun of a double 11 7/8 lvl with at least two jack studs on either side. just a couple things I noticed from the pictures looks like your making good progress

68skylark455

Larry the "Stroker"
Aug 7, 2008
Texas
Thanks again for all the help. My friend said he had a 16" he would give me for the header. Since I have to pull the current one down what do you guys mean "jack stud"? How big should they be to support the 16" header and the 40 ft long double 14" ldl? The floor span is basically 20' x 31'. The other 9 ft will be over the existing roof so I can tie it and support that end there. keep it coming, I am all ears as I don't want any safety issues here with my kids always helping me. This is one reason a consult to a good contractor is well worth it and not reading some book that apparently leaves out important matters like support for open span buildings.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Im not on my computer at home so dont laugh lol. I did this in MSpaint (the latest CAD software, right?) :D

Do this detail on each side of the header.
attachment.php

Dont cut or notch the LVL header. Let it sit on the post. Run your top plate over the top of it and the king/cripplers. (this king is basically a stud, same height as the rest of the studs). This post (king/cripplers) sit on your bottom plate.

Attachments

• hderdtl.JPG
    hderdtl.JPG
    8 KB · Views: 58

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Then run your post from your ridge beam to top of your header. You can get a simpson bucket or something like for the connection. Unless your good with a welder, you can build one from steel. Look on the simpson website for the CCO buckets for info. Need to mak sure the header you use can carry the load from the roof though. Do you get snow?

68skylark455

Larry the "Stroker"
Aug 7, 2008
Texas
It snows once in a blue moon, sometimes 3-6" sometime 1/2-2" so not alot. They told me to use 2 14" lvls for the ridge beam. Can a person get one single beam that is basically the same as far as weight support? Eventually this will be a living room when I win the lotto and built me a huge shop and I am trying to retain the open celing with beam showing for the rustic look as well as get a big Christmas tree in. I was thinking a single big beam would look better in my living room:D. the span is 20ft across and 31ft long and the end of the big beam will set on my existing roof plus a support beam on the back wall at the front of the house with a second header I am going to put at the back of the shop.

Last edited:

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
If I get time, Ill run the loads tonight. Thats actually a good span considering you get snow, Even if it is a few inches...Whats your zip code Ill look up the snow load.

68skylark455

Larry the "Stroker"
Aug 7, 2008
Texas
If I get time, Ill run the loads tonight. Thats actually a good span considering you get snow, Even if it is a few inches...Whats your zip code Ill look up the snow load.

76901. I was just told by our local lumber company their program say 3 18" lvls:confused: This is getting confusing very quickly:rofl:I knew I should have finished the 12th grade, guess 11 1/2 weren't enough:(

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
2 14s didn't sound right. If you post down and have 2 10' spans yes it can be smaller. Let me run it tonight and Ill tell you for sure.

Ill get a few options too so you can choose cost vs. looks.

Last edited:

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
A 5-1/4" x 18" 2.0 3100 DF Versa-Lam passes at a 20' span. (thats minimum member size, without seeing exactly whats going on, it could be borderline).

You said its about a 20' span, but the rest is going over roof?? What is the beam span between the 2 supports (post to post, the longest span)? Also whats your rafter spacing?

68skylark455

Larry the "Stroker"
Aug 7, 2008
Texas
A 5-1/4" x 18" 2.0 3100 DF Versa-Lam passes at a 20' span. (thats minimum member size, without seeing exactly whats going on, it could be borderline).

You said its about a 20' span, but the rest is going over roof?? What is the beam span between the 2 supports (post to post, the longest span)? Also whats your rafter spacing?

the span from side to side is 20' the span from front to rear is 31' + I need 9' to attach to the roof. The ridge beam is the one going 40'. I will have a 16" header at the front and back of the 31' span. The height from floor to ridge beam is 15' to the top of it. if you need specifics just call or text me your number if you don't have free long distance 3253746912. thank you for the help, apparently I really needed more before I started this thing but I was suprised and didn't have time to really think it all through:D

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
the span from side to side is 20' the span from front to rear is 31' + I need 9' to attach to the roof. The ridge beam is the one going 40'. I will have a 16" header at the front and back of the 31' span. The height from floor to ridge beam is 15' to the top of it. if you need specifics just call or text me your number if you don't have free long distance 3253746912. thank you for the help, apparently I really needed more before I started this thing but I was suprised and didn't have time to really think it all through:D
oh, shit lol. Disregard my previous post....

so you have a 31' free span, 40' total, but you have support between 31' (basically 1 support at front, then 2nd support @ 31', then 3rd support at 40' (which is the roof of house))?
You can splice or start another beam if supported at 31'....for the additional 9' if you are on a header. You may need a bigger post at the ridge beam to header, then the 2 posts from ridge beam to foundation.

And 10' tributary (10' span of rafters on each side of RB)?

68skylark455

Larry the "Stroker"
Aug 7, 2008
Texas
yes the rafters are 10'. I guess the whole safety issue is the free span of 31' being 20' wide. My friend who builds houses will be out monday to give me the correct info I need and I will run it by you guys for good measure (no pun intended). I appreciate all the help. Thank you and Merry Christmas