New place to burn a hole ina piston. No crack, just hole.

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
Sucks, but thanks for sharing. Seems like even with this, they have an amazing track record.

Would be interesting to know what combination this was being run with (compression/fuel/air/tuning).

I haven't looked at many pistons (especially yours), so I could be WAY off base, but it seems like there's a lot outside the bowl (thinking big/early timing)?

Also as others stated, what is the thickness of that area (seems to me it would be the thinnest area), but I'm sure you know as you drew up the design. Thinner area and ANY casting defects, I think could make for a bad day like this...

Still a great track record regardless, and failure data is always good.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
They are "thinner" there, but there is very little stress in that area.

NOT an injector issue. At least not directly. Noticed some metal transfer to the pin, where there is none on others. Might be from failure or an indication of the cause like lack of oil cooling.

There is a crack in the skirt. Bead blasted to clean off the carbon. I think this happened after the hole.

20210625_081459.jpg

20210625_081512.jpg

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
So after how many years and how many sets one piston finally took a shit?

still impressed and would put a set in my truck tomorrow.

Reactions: SmokeShow

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
It is the only one through the crown that I recall. There have been a few that have cracked below. Right above the pin or on the skirt. Essentially all of those were discovered when the engine was torn down for other issues. Otherwise, the owner was totally unaware of any issues.

For this piston, the oil gallery appears to be a full 0.100" closer to the crown than normal. Probably a casting shift. That alone shouldn't have caused a problem, but I think this piston lost it's oil cooling also based on the metal transfer.

This is a normal piston with the same bowl.
20210625_091524.jpg

Here is the failed.20210626_133300.jpg

bimmer95

Mar 16, 2019
Morgantown Pennsylvania
It is the only one through the crown that I recall. There have been a few that have cracked below. Right above the pin or on the skirt. Essentially all of those were discovered when the engine was torn down for other issues. Otherwise, the owner was totally unaware of any issues.

For this piston, the oil gallery appears to be a full 0.100" closer to the crown than normal. Probably a casting shift. That alone shouldn't have caused a problem, but I think this piston lost it's oil cooling also based on the metal transfer.

This is a normal piston with the same bowl.
View attachment 106031

Here is the failed.View attachment 106032
That is impressive

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
In this last picture, you can see how much the oil gallery is tilted. I am going to call the shift the root cause. Right now, I don't know how to detect this going forward.20210626_134522.jpg

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Looks like mahle cut the bottoms of the pistons up higher or used a different cast. In the cut away between the two, you can see the whole bottom case area is up higher than the first cut away you show

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Looks like mahle cut the bottoms of the pistons up higher or used a different cast. In the cut away between the two, you can see the whole bottom case area is up higher than the first cut away you show
They are essentially the same. There is a little variation from piston to piston, but it is very small and has no impact in this case.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Have you discussed the core shift with them?

Perhaps the issue lies whiten how the are handling the the molds at the casting plant.