New PB

LSxBakakos

May 29, 2022
Illinois
Last year on stock fuel truck wouldn't break out of 12.80s. after sac 65s, dual fueler, fresh trans and converter change(goerend R) made my way out to the track last night. My goals have been 11s on stock bottom end, made 3 passes on tune 4 and was pleasantly surprised. If I can get my 60 down it for sure has my goal without touching the boom boom tune. Boat anchors on all 4 corners, full street trim, zero weight reduction. After the picture I've realized I need limiting straps in the front end and might swap out these rancho 9ks for some double adjustable qa1's as well. Didn't add any preload so questionably can knock off some 60" there too. 12psi on launch and rolled through the trap as you can tell by my r/t lol. All in all extremely pleased with this thing, I'll be touching 11s next time for sure 🤘

Attachments

• Snapchat-172190262.jpg
    Snapchat-172190262.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Snapchat-209755445.jpg
    Snapchat-209755445.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: gmduramax

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Don’t put limit straps on, use the qa1’s to control your launch. Limit straps are a bandaid that the right shocks will take care of

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Nicely done, considering your lack of suspension setup. You'll get there.
As James said, my experience with the QA1s was that they do help considerably. The Ranchos are better than nothing, though.

LSxBakakos

May 29, 2022
Illinois
My only reason for not going to qa1 off the start is although it's a summer truck it does get worked/tow from time to time. By any chance do you guys have them or have towed with them?? Thebac thank you sir, definitely feels good to be that much closer. 5 I know has it, but if I can get my ET on this tune rather than kill I'm all for it

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
The QA1s arent meant to be used as everyday shocks. They can be, but they'll wear out a lot faster. The upside is they can be rebuilt.
The ones we were using years ago were originally meant for a Camaro, IIRC.

EDIT: Joe's right. Lighter wheels and sticky tires would help. Get that 60 into the mid-lower 1.6 area and you'll be there.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Qa1 can be used daily, just don’t crank the rebound or compression way up. That will kill the shock faster.

Keep the shock shaft clean and watch for leaks from them.

The wheels suggested above are a great idea. Keeping a high back spaced wheel to bring scrub radius way down really cuts down on torque steer and leverage on the steering that induces toe in. You can drop .2 or more from just a wheel change

LSxBakakos

May 29, 2022
Illinois
I've been telling myself for "street" wheels I may go to a forged 20x9 since I found out one manufacture is 37/pc and these kuhmos work quite well. I'd like a full track set of wheels and tires but it's more than I'd like to spend at the moment lol. I'd imagine this looser converter is another reason that it's also a little slower 60" wise, then again I did leave 3psi less than last year

Thebac&1925 I'm entirely fine with having them rebuilt, the truck maybe sees 5k mi a year and doesn't come out unless it's a clear weekend so I shouldn't have any issue keeping up with them. Maybe have em set loose on street then fine tune em up at the track

Mickey did come out with the r radial in a truck size and considering they now make them for a 17 it's been a thought considering I can shave near 30lb a corner. Who knows maybe I'll get impulsive and do both lol

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
That was 12 years ago. Hell, I dont remember.:ROFLMAO: Pretty sure they were singles. Still helped a lot. Seem to remember my best 60 was 1.59. Was usually in the mid 1.6s on Toyos on PY0s

LSxBakakos

May 29, 2022
Illinois
didn't think of checking the year 😂 and that truck definitely worked. Was that on the 680 horse or whatever it was? And I got impulsive and pulled the trigger on the doubles

LSxBakakos

May 29, 2022
Illinois
I definitely respect that, my goal was to do it in full street trim, I think 15psi would do it but it's definitely lifting the front end more than it ever has. Definitely curious what the true rwhp is

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
I definitely regret letting go of mine, that 2/10s would've been all I needed. What was your e.t.?
Like Tom

It’s been a minute. But I was going higher 13’s. Couldn’t get any lower then like a 13.70? But put the stock pyo’s on with 285’s and was going 13.50’s.

LSxBakakos

May 29, 2022
Illinois
Update, went out last Friday with the qa1's, had 8 on compression, maxxed on rebound. Truck felt stronger than it ever has on launch, still rolled through the beams(won't hold) 15 psi launch, little bit closer but not quite there. Second run was the last for the night, truck broke up/sputtered at the top end and resulted in a 12.1, balance rates are still good, starting to wonder if the valley cp3 is having a fpr issue or bad fuel since I threw a couple gallons in that day. Maf was just cleaned fresh fuel filters, hopefully it wasn't the beginning of the rods shortening lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220814-125707.png
    Screenshot_20220814-125707.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 24

1TRIKHD

Country boy Limo.
Sep 15, 2015
P.N.W
Update, went out last Friday with the qa1's, had 8 on compression, maxxed on rebound. Truck felt stronger than it ever has on launch, still rolled through the beams(won't hold) 15 psi launch, little bit closer but not quite there. Second run was the last for the night, truck broke up/sputtered at the top end and resulted in a 12.1, balance rates are still good, starting to wonder if the valley cp3 is having a fpr issue or bad fuel since I threw a couple gallons in that day. Maf was just cleaned fresh fuel filters, hopefully it wasn't the beginning of the rods shortening lol
I cant wait to get to the track with the Viking shocks. your times on the slip look pretty close to mind. i ended up running a 11.98 at 113

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

Reactions: LSxBakakos

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Oh yeah, its a different feeling when the truck isnt lifting at launch. Keep at it, you'll get that 60 back down.

At what RPM are you pushing thru the brakes? Sounds like you may need a converter with a higher stall?
Would really be helpful to have a video of your run if at all possible.

Reactions: LSxBakakos

LSxBakakos

May 29, 2022
Illinois
I cant wait to get to the track with the Viking shocks. your times on the slip look pretty close to mind. i ended up running a 11.98 at 113

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk
Definitely keep me in the loop man! And ill do the same for you guys. The trucks feel is 10x better so I'm sure those Vikings will help ya some too.
Oh yeah, its a different feeling when the truck isnt lifting at launch. Keep at it, you'll get that 60 back down.

At what RPM are you pushing thru the brakes? Sounds like you may need a converter with a higher stall?
Would really be helpful to have a video of your run if at all possible.

It definitely yanked pretty hard, just a little wigged out with the whole hesitation/stumble and hoping it isnt the rods lol. I am now on a goerend R which is a 2300 stall but I'm unsure on where I left "flashing" I do have some videos so hopefully I can figure out how to post em, last time it rejected them. The 12.1 my buddy has a video of, and I think the gf has my 12.0 run so I'll check and try to upload them

Reactions: 1TRIKHD