Ryno06

Ryno06
Apr 18, 2020
Miami, FL
Hello all. Name is Ryan. 47 y/o. New to diesels but have done some research and am in the process of buying a 07 Sierra 2500 LBZ with 120k miles. Bone stock and 1 owner. Looks very clean. Having it inspected Monday.

I own quite a few old trucks but no diesels except our fire trucks (2- IH scout 2's and a 68 IH 1200C pickup as well as a '98 Ford ranger that my son drives). I'm going to do some towing (a boat) but mostly just regular driving. As I get closer to retirement may do more heavier camper/trailer towing.

My goal is to have this truck for the next 12 years minimum (until retirement) and am trying to learn as much as I can about what mods will help keep my LBZ running in top shape long term. Not racing, not going much of road but would like to maximize the truck without doing damage to it.

I've done a ton of research which is why I chose the LBZ with Allison tranny and am learning about lift pumps, EGR deletes, tuners, etc. Bit overwhelming and I know there's are innumerable things that you could possibly do.

What do you see as the necessary mods to have this truck long term. Thank you all for your help.

Ryan

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Welcome. There is definitely a lot to learn about these trucks. If you stick around you can learn a lot from the various threads on here. There are also a number of very knowledgeable people here too if you can't find the answer

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Start searching and reading. Post a thread in the appropriate section if you have a question on a particular thing.

Welcome to DD.

Ryno06

Ryno06
Apr 18, 2020
Miami, FL
Thanks for the replies. Because I'm new (and old) I'm kind of having a hard time finding threads related to mods for bone stock LBZs that more experienced guys feel are necessary for longevity and performance.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
In the top right part of the main header you'll see the "search" tab. Click that, type in what you're searching for, and away you go.

You can also go to the Duramax Technical main section, click "Hard Parts", then click "LBZ" -- there's your main section for asking about the engine
The "Mike's Trans Talk" is the main area for questions about the Allison.
There is also a "Maintenance and Fluids" section in Hard Parts.