New member with mod questions

Kretty

Mar 4, 2018
Im new here and new to the diesel game. Picking up a stock 06 duramax CCSB on 3-10-18. What mods are first? Supporting mods. It will be my tow rig for my other silverado. Im looking for longevity. Any suggestions help. Ill post pics this weekend. Thanks in advance.

Kretty

Mar 4, 2018
How many miles are on truck? 2wd or 4? What is done to it currently?

Oh and :welcome5:
148k 4wd and wheels are the only mod. That's it.
I live in MN and im traveling to pheonix to pick it up. Already had someone look at it and drive it for me. Rust free truck.

Last edited:

ChrisPerry

Apr 4, 2016
Ventura, CA
For the engine............reroute the pcv, egr blocker plate with Finger stick, free flowing exhaust, good tune, lift pump, and some gauges (EGT and boost)

For the trans...........if towing alot, Mike L cooler and a deeper pan.

Transfer case............Pump rub kit

Front end.....heavy dity tie rods and inspect all steering components

Rear axle..........aftermarket diff cover for added oil capacity and cooling. Inspect gov loc while in there.

Check the lower radiator hose, there is a wiring loom or something that rubs a hole in it sometimes. Change power steering fluid (makes steering and brakes work better) use a Tech2 scanner to do an ABS bleed (you won't believe how much this can improve brake feel)

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things, maybe someone else will chime in.

Last edited:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Yes, you can just buy an EFILive tune that'll do the same thing. Heck, some of the older handhelds had tunes with the codes removed.

You dont necessarily need the rear end cover or the deeper pan on the trans, just change your fluids on a regular schedule.
Other than that, Chris pretty much hit on the high points.

Moved this into the LBZ section of Hard Parts, as it looks like it'll become more technical than intro. :) Have fun with your new truck. Sounds like a good one. :thumb:

BoiseRob

Oct 12, 2007
Welcome...

FNG asking about "mods" for an LBZ? I would leave all the emission systems in place. If you want it tuned, find a programmer from Edge or Banks that is CARB certified...

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Thats all we're getting now is newbies with new-to-them trucks, Rob. Just the direction the site veered to b/c of Google.

We mods arent going to check every little detail on every new member just b/c of what happened to ATP. But to assure you, this guy checks out as from MN.

ChrisPerry

Apr 4, 2016
Ventura, CA
Fingerstick? Can i get a tune to get rid of the codes instead?

Yes, the code can be tuned out. A finger stick will just keep the code from being tripped no matter what tuner you choose ( Banks, PPE, EFI live, ect. or even if you don't want to tune it immediately)

BoiseRob

Oct 12, 2007
Thats all we're getting now is newbies with new-to-them trucks, Rob. Just the direction the site veered to b/c of Google.

We mods arent going to check every little detail on every new member just b/c of what happened to ATP. But to assure you, this guy checks out as from MN.

Tom, I understand but the "Search" function should be used first...
My new norm is "leave it stock"...

Kretty

Mar 4, 2018

Correct, i am from MN im new to the diesel part of these trucks. Ive got an 06 5.3 as well.

Thank you all for the quick and helpful replies. Asking people tends to net more results to the search button. Im no stranger to that box up there. Just wanted some quick concise replies.

menifee

Jan 6, 2018
For the engine............reroute the pcv, egr blocker plate with Finger stick, free flowing exhaust, good tune, lift pump, and some gauges (EGT and boost)

For the trans...........if towing alot, Mike L cooler and a deeper pan.

Transfer case............Pump rub kit

Front end.....heavy dity tie rods and inspect all steering components

Rear axle..........aftermarket diff cover for added oil capacity and cooling. Inspect gov loc while in there.

Check the lower radiator hose, there is a wiring loom or something that rubs a hole in it sometimes. Change power steering fluid (makes steering and brakes work better) use a Tech2 scanner to do an ABS bleed (you won't believe how much this can improve brake feel)

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things, maybe someone else will chime in.
Well said

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk