New member, long time lurker

Buzzard

Apr 21, 2024
Oklahoma
Hey guys, glad to be here!

I have had my 07 lbz for about 9 years now and have read countless threads on here, but never took the time to join or post.

I've neglected my truck for the past year or more while using it to pull equipment and unfortunately have quite a bit of damage to address and will be attempting the job myself.
I have cracked heads, broken manifolds and a shot turbo.
I have a pretty good idea of what parts I'm buying but any suggestions are welcome!
And I've never done anything beyond a t case pump run on a diesel so I'll be needing a lot of direction on the work.
Thanks!

07 LBZ ccsb : no zone built trans, PPE manifolds and up pipes, "sportsman" injectors fuel plug, sdp delete, arp head studs

Reactions: Dozerboy

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Welcome.

Start looking for some head gaskets as apparently the ones you'll want are hard to find or have long lead times.

Otherwise get ahold of the venders here to get pricing of the parts you'll need. They help support the site so it's the least we can do

Reactions: Buzzard

Buzzard

Apr 21, 2024
Oklahoma
Welcome.

Start looking for some head gaskets as apparently the ones you'll want are hard to find or have long lead times.

Otherwise get ahold of the venders here to get pricing of the parts you'll need. They help support the site so it's the least we can do
Are the OEM grade C gaskets the standard still?

I read somewhere that your supposed to measure head protrusion, not just run the grade C. But that's the first I've heard.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
GM switched to the "Gold" gaskets and they are failing at a higher rate then they used to. I'd try and stick to wave-stopper if you can

Ideally, yes, you measure first and base the gaskets on the protrusion. Many will use grade C so they can order ahead of time and.have everything ready for when they pull the heads off. But to do it correctly you measure it first

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
You should measure piston protrusion for optimal results. Somewhere there is a chart.

Alot of guys are running the MAHLE brand with good results.

If you need help, We have some great vendors that can help you with your purchases.

Buzzard

Apr 21, 2024
Oklahoma
You should measure piston protrusion for optimal results. Somewhere there is a chart.

Alot of guys are running the MAHLE brand with good results.

If you need help, We have some great vendors that can help you with your purchases.
Awesome!
Is there a list of vendors and their sites? I'm not having any luck finding one

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Look on the main forum page and scroll down to the vendor section. Brad or Josh can help you.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
If you're not touching the block or bottom end of the motor, you don't need to measure piston protrusion. You can just order the same grade of gaskets GM shipped the motor with. There are tabs that stick out past the heads with holes in them, and the location of the holes indicates which grade of head gasket it is. Just remember each side can be a different grade.

That said, if you're pulling the heads off and aren't in a hurry, it never hurts to measure protrusion yourself, then order the correct gaskets.

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You sure you have cracked heads? It's very rare to see a cracked head on an LBZ.

Buzzard

Apr 21, 2024
Oklahoma
You sure you have cracked heads? It's very rare to see a cracked head on an LBZ.
Yeah, one of them is cracked above a valve where the coolant is leaking into the exhaust.
I'm thinking the turbo vein failure caused high egts when pulling heavy, but not sure.
The heads are off, found a small piece of debris made its way into one cylinder and damaged a piston, broke a ring and there's gouges at the top of the cylinder... At 225k Its looking like I'll be dropping in a new complete stock engine.