LB7: New LB7 owner here

wildfire77

Just a GM kinda guy.
Apr 28, 2017
SE Wisconsin
So after totaling my 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 (gasser) last October, I've been on the lookout for another truck to pull my toys and haul stuff for home projects. Pretty much always been a GM kinda guy... I've almost always had various GM vehicles, but my first truck was a 2000 GMC Sierra.
Traded that up to a 2014 Chevy Silverado, things changed and I had to get rid of the truck payment. I ended up getting the Dodge Ram and promptly totaled it after only owning it for 500 miles... the real kicker is that I had just picked it up that week from getting the transmission rebuilt! :mad:

Maybe this was fate telling me to go back to GM...?

I was always interested in a diesel but could never justify one for the money. After doing additional research I saw that injectors would probably need to be replaced regardless of what year diesel I found and was in my budget...

I saw my new truck on the side of the road a few weeks ago... At first, for the price, I thought it was a Gasser... :woott: Yes, she has a bit of haze after warming up (needs injectors) but for the number of miles I plan on putting on the truck this year (probably only about 3000ish), I'm hoping to delay fixing it until next spring...

We'll see how this goes.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
welcome to the team,

also, it is usually only the LB7 that needs injectors. the later years have much more reliable injectors.

wildfire77

Just a GM kinda guy.
Apr 28, 2017
SE Wisconsin
welcome to the team,

also, it is usually only the LB7 that needs injectors. the later years have much more reliable injectors.

Thanks!

with that being said, its kinda why i'm here. saw the new SAC style injectors for the LB7 and a thread started just over a year ago by DAVe3283.... (here's the thread) Just wondering if these things are the best thing since sliced bread and worth the extra investment.

wildfire77

Just a GM kinda guy.
Apr 28, 2017
SE Wisconsin
Welcome. Get a good fuel filter on the pump or at least a cat filter and adapter

Thanks,

saw the latest filter spec from GM on their ACDelco TP3018 is right up there with the CAT... and it has water removal just in case...

this isn't my daily drive and is probably going to have a much easier life parked in my driveway than her previous home seeing she was someones work truck...

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
welcome to the team,

Lol no, the lb7 just has injectors go on somewhat regular intervals. The rate at which single injectors fail on LLY,lbz,lmm is alarming. When I worked for GM I did more single injectors on those three than I did full sets on lb7's

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Thanks,

saw the latest filter spec from GM on their ACDelco TP3018 is right up there with the CAT... and it has water removal just in case...

this isn't my daily drive and is probably going to have a much easier life parked in my driveway than her previous home seeing she was someones work truck...

Even if it's only driven once a month that one time could possibly get contaminants in the injectors. Insure that your micron rating is no more than 2. 1 if at all possible. And make sure you have adaquate supply to the cp3 as well. Personally I like Kennedy pumps. But that's just me. When replacing injectors I'd recommend new/cleaned used lines. And a set of 30 overs from LDS. Great price and quality and Brent and Lauren are amazing people to work with. Not sure about the SAC injectors. But my .02 is if they really were that great there wouldn't be anyone buying regular injectors anymore.

Also just a thought. If it was a work truck before you got it then you will have to deal with issues stemming from that if it was driven hard or not very well maintained. Go through it and check everything and change all the fluids and filters right off hand. Not saying you haven't but if not, that's a good start.