New driver door seal still leaks in

freeloader700

Sep 13, 2023
US
I replaced the door seal for the driver front and I am still getting a leak. In the picture you can see where its wet on the seal. That is where it is seeping in from the door. I tried adjusting the seal a bit but no luck is stopping it. I know the leak is not coming from anywhere else, all the interior is strippee out so I have clear view. Any suggestions on what to do next?
4bde592dba079762e512be842026929e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
That's an odd place for it to leak. As mentioned, the dollar bill tug test is usually a good way to test if the seal is makeing contact in a suspected leak area.

Once confirmed, there are a few options you can try.

You can try bending the flange toward the door in just that area to see if seals better.

That type of seal has a hollow passage faceing the door side. They make a foam seal cord that you can insert into the weather stripping to take up the space.

Lastly, you can try rotating that weather stripping to see if it's just that spot in the weather stripping.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Didn't I tell you to check the weep holes on the bottom of the door? That's how the water is supposed to get out and not leak into the interior

freeloader700

Sep 13, 2023
US
Weep holes are clear. I made sure using some string trimmer line. Is that really a normal amount of water that enters the door?

660catman

May 18, 2021
With that much water coming in, it sounds like your belt moulding is wore out or not even touching the glass.

Stroked06Goat

Mar 30, 2023
Syracuse, NY
My 2010 i fought water a bit. Turns out it would come inside the door sill where window meets the door skin up front near the side mirror...came in and would drip slightly to the inside of the inner door...and down and out of the door panel bottom, so the seal had nothing to do with it. shoddy design in my book but....i simply used some plastic sheeting to direct the drips into the door cavity (and out the weep holes) as it should. Of course i did this after i replaced all my door seals which, well probably due anyway.
It was exactly where you pictured it.

freeloader700

Sep 13, 2023
US
My 2010 i fought water a bit. Turns out it would come inside the door sill where window meets the door skin up front near the side mirror...came in and would drip slightly to the inside of the inner door...and down and out of the door panel bottom, so the seal had nothing to do with it. shoddy design in my book but....i simply used some plastic sheeting to direct the drips into the door cavity (and out the weep holes) as it should. Of course i did this after i replaced all my door seals which, well probably due anyway.
It was exactly where you pictured it.
Do you happen to have a photo of what you did? What size sheet did you cut it to, half the width of the door?

Stroked06Goat

Mar 30, 2023
Syracuse, NY
I thought i did but i can't track it down. I just used a piece of clear plastic (can use anything) that i taped above the speaker area, that diverted the water into the door cavity. Probably was 12"x12" piece of plastic. the water would drip along the front of the door felt outside, where it meets the mirror area, that front corner...and drop straight down to the cockpit side of the inner door skin. The plastic just keeps it to the door cavity side. Sorry its hard to explain lol

Stroked06Goat

Mar 30, 2023
Syracuse, NY
If you take the door panel off, and spray water from the exterior....thats where i caught it dripping down the door panel and on top of the speaker area, and ultimately out the door panel, onto the seal, and into the cabin rug.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Very possible the top of the door is tweaked outward slightly. I remember that used to be a "thing" with the 01-07 trucks