LBZ: Need some advice (cracked piston)

Kevinbo6gt

Jul 23, 2009
As stated had my cylinder 6 piston crack on me. Was hoping to just be an injector but nope. Dropped the truck off tonight at a local diesel shop to see what they recommend on it. Wasn't planning on dropping big money on the motor but whats the best option? Could i just replace the single piston thats cracked and be on my way if it didn't do too much damage to the block?

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
A little more information would be helpful. Guessing the truck is an lbz? If so I'd get a set of lb7 pistons and main and head studs, key the crank and have it rebalanced. Then you'll have a nice little rebuilt motor.

Kevinbo6gt

Jul 23, 2009
Sorry, Yes the truck is an 07 LBZ...Built trans, 4094 turbo, air dog, etc...

Been thinking about it. Wouldn't mind just getting it back on the road cheap but also whats the best bang for your buck for a small budget build to make sure it can handle 650-700whp?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
cheapest way to get back on the road is finding a good, used LMM/LBZ engine to drop in.

How much the piston messed up the cyl wall will determine if it needs a bore over or not. in the case of a bore over, it wont be a cheap build anymore

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I was in your shoes 2 months ago. I thought the piston was cracked, at tear down it ended up being a hole burnt thru, the cylinder walk was fine. But at that point I had already made arrangements for a 1000hp build. #6 as well.

Kevinbo6gt

Jul 23, 2009
I was in your shoes 2 months ago. I thought the piston was cracked, at tear down it ended up being a hole burnt thru, the cylinder walk was fine. But at that point I had already made arrangements for a 1000hp build. #6 as well.

my buddy used a camera and said he saw the piston cracked...we will see hopefully tomorrow. maybe there will be some deals on black friday for motor parts:roflmao:

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
Sounds like what I went through last year. Mine burnt a hole in #8. I drove it home which hurt the cylinder. So I ended up boring .40 over and doing a full build. But now that's it's done, I don't honestly think I'd do it again. A good running short block is definitely probably gonna be your cheapest option.

Kevinbo6gt

Jul 23, 2009
Sounds like what I went through last year. Mine burnt a hole in #8. I drove it home which hurt the cylinder. So I ended up boring .40 over and doing a full build. But now that's it's done, I don't honestly think I'd do it again. A good running short block is definitely probably gonna be your cheapest option.

I don't mind spending the money to start to build. But if i do...yeah the truck will never be fore sale lol....If i can find a lbz motor for around 3k i'll try to pick it up...But with my setup, more HP would be nice... Just wished i planned for the spending I'm about to do :(

Kevinbo6gt

Jul 23, 2009
Picking up a lbz long block for a decent price this week. Planning on swapping everything off my motor to this one. Anything you guys think i should do to the replacement motor while its out? Not looking to do a complete build but I'm open to any good ideas

Kevinbo6gt

Jul 23, 2009
Update:

Bought a 2nd motor and the short block is heading out the be bored .20 over and keyed cam and crank. Build plans are as follows

Carrillos rods
Finger oval pistons .20 over
ppe dual fueler
60 over lbz injectors
68 mm stg2r or 72mm danville turbo (undecidced)
Heads will get socal st 1 at least (good friends with the guy that owns the shop so I'm getting hooked up, nice to catch a break lol)
arp headstuds and main studs..

any other suggestions? Looking to go for 1k motor but be run around 750-800hp till i go with twins.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
AF cam, rocker studs, SoCal springs.

My motor is still at SoCal, hopefully I get it back in a couple weeks.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Also, o ring the block, and either 625s or 14mm headstuds. Just repeating what I have been told by the people who know.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
What's the intended use for the truck?

I would do AF cam, new crank, don't waste $ on billet mains at that power IMO. Rest of your list looks fine. Run the Danville 72 for 750-800hp, spray it to 1000hp LOL

Kevinbo6gt

Jul 23, 2009
What's the intended use for the truck?

I would do AF cam, new crank, don't waste $ on billet mains at that power IMO. Rest of your list looks fine. Run the Danville 72 for 750-800hp, spray it to 1000hp LOL

Inteded use for the truck is just a mess around toy. This isn't my daily by any means :thumb: Probably run it at the track 3-4 times a year otherwise it will be used for home depot runs. Hoping a single will make enough power for awhile till i get bored then twins will happen.

Who makes a decent crank for the $?

Kevinbo6gt

Jul 23, 2009
Keep reading on crank failures is the LML really gonna make a difference over my LBZ crank?

Block is going out this week to be bored 20 over and now its times to buy some pistons:woott:

Anyone have any experience with the Empire Stage 1 AF cam? Found one locally and thinking of picking it up.