LB7: Need Injectors: Bigger Nozzles Worth it?

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
Well im just going to throw a new set of injectors in my lb7 and partszoneonline has a decent price on the bosch remans.

So Whats the best way to go with oversized nozzles? Have the set I buy honed? If anyone knows the most cost effective way and whether or not the benefits are worth it.

Finally I am not sure on the size but have heard 30 to 40% over nozzles are a good size and will actually make a max effort tune more efficient on a stock motor/turbo set up.

If anyone has done anything similar and has a recommendation let me know. Im not concerned with the power gain, more so efficiencies to be gained in tuning and over all health.

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
Just go with exergy and be done if going bigger.

Send them the new set and have them hone? Thats the best route?

Whats the best size for my application?

Planned mods are:
towflow up pipes
lml exhuast manifold
profab intake horn
max effort stock turbo

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
exactly, when do you plan on doing that?

haha I just bought a 1057 so Ill be ordering a GMAX kit shortly. Well aware that is necessary ;)

My original set of injectors are going from what I can tell so injectors are not something I can wait on.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Lift pump and trans are a must. It all depends on your future mods. 30% is plenty for stock rods. Without a bigger turbo your gains are not going to be much.

bluecollar

Feb 28, 2012
ia
Lift pump and trans are a must. It all depends on your future mods. 30% is plenty for stock rods. Without a bigger turbo your gains are not going to be much.

X2 if u plan on staying witb stock turbo its not gonna gain much hp but will lower ur pulse width

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
X2 if u plan on staying witb stock turbo its not gonna gain much hp but will lower ur pulse width

Not worried about huge hp gains but the advantage of a lower pulse width, and less timing needed, beneficial enough to justify the costs?

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
I'd say if you're going to do bigger injectors, go with 60 overs. That way in the future if you want to up the ante you're not having another set done. Either send new ones to Exergy or buy them form Exergy.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

hes not going for all out power, its in his first post.

Diesel53, a good set of 30% or at most 45% will be plenty for you and allow you to keep a low pulse width with a little more power and little cooler EGTs at lower power levels.

personally, id throw a set of stockers in, get ALL of your list finished up and then reconsider your injectors again. by then you will probably be due for injectors again.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Not worried about huge hp gains but the advantage of a lower pulse width, and less timing needed, beneficial enough to justify the costs?

only if you plan on running a max effort tune 100% of the time. otherwise the gains/added longevity are not enough to off set the cost of just running stock sticks

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
hes not going for all out power, its in his first post.

Diesel53, a good set of 30% or at most 45% will be plenty for you and allow you to keep a low pulse width with a little more power and little cooler EGTs at lower power levels.

personally, id throw a set of stockers in, get ALL of your list finished up and then reconsider your injectors again. by then you will probably be due for injectors again.

Well as much as I drive my truck that may be in 10 years lol, assuming I get decent life out of this next set.

So you dont think it will make enough difference to have the tips done? If you can think of a better place to spend the money ill definitely consider it. Not sure what the egt differences would be with 30 to 45% overs would be. Thanks for the input.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Well as much as I drive my truck that may be in 10 years lol, assuming I get decent life out of this next set.

So you dont think it will make enough difference to have the tips done? If you can think of a better place to spend the money ill definitely consider it. Not sure what the egt differences would be with 30 to 45% overs would be. Thanks for the input.

IF you really plan on never upgrading the turbo, then don't waste your money on bigger injectors. With correct tuning I don't think you'd see any real difference in EGT's between injector sizes, unless you were going with some really big sticks.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

if i ever bought a stock truck and kept the motor stock, id keep stock injectors in it. its cheaper to do so and your money can be better spent else where such as your trans, a second cp3 to keep rail up, a different turbo or twins, yadda yadda yadda. But i also can easily cap myself on the greed for HP. Ive seen way too many lb7/lly trucks running around in az with max effort tunes run day in and day out with out issues to justify going bigger for minimal gain. you would see more out of a turbo change (assuming your fuel system is healthy). and as you have stated, you dont run around on a max effort tune day in and day out so the benifits compared to money spent would not be favorable to me in my opinion.

this only based on what ive seen guys do to their trucks and where they see good gains and what is holding together. its doesnt mean you wont crack a piston or a crank or pop hold downs or on and on and on, it just seems that there is a very high percentage of trucks running as ive stated without issue and being beat on alot. i know of two buddys here personally who dont show their truck any love daily and their trucks keep on ticking, stock limping trannies and all :D

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
if i ever bought a stock truck and kept the motor stock, id keep stock injectors in it. its cheaper to do so and your money can be better spent else where such as your trans, a second cp3 to keep rail up, a different turbo or twins, yadda yadda yadda. But i also can easily cap myself on the greed for HP. Ive seen way too many lb7/lly trucks running around in az with max effort tunes run day in and day out with out issues to justify going bigger for minimal gain. you would see more out of a turbo change (assuming your fuel system is healthy). and as you have stated, you dont run around on a max effort tune day in and day out so the benifits compared to money spent would not be favorable to me in my opinion.

this only based on what ive seen guys do to their trucks and where they see good gains and what is holding together. its doesnt mean you wont crack a piston or a crank or pop hold downs or on and on and on, it just seems that there is a very high percentage of trucks running as ive stated without issue and being beat on alot. i know of two buddys here personally who dont show their truck any love daily and their trucks keep on ticking, stock limping trannies and all :D

That makes sense to me, I will need to cap myself otherwise I dont see an end in sight haha. Im just trying to get a reliable max effort set up to play with and not have to worry too much about.

Turbo upgrades I shy away from because of your experiences, I dont see any big single or twin setups not blowing up on me eventually. Batmowheel my be an option but nothing more. Maybe I will look into doing an oil cooler or a full exhaust manifolds instead.

Thanks for the input..

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
IF you really plan on never upgrading the turbo, then don't waste your money on bigger injectors. With correct tuning I don't think you'd see any real difference in EGT's between injector sizes, unless you were going with some really big sticks.

Yes if thats the case then I need to consider spending the money else where. Thanks for the help