Need Help with Trans codes and diagnotics

catmenace

Jul 31, 2010
Well I have a Mike L Transmission in my 2011 Dmax, which is a great setup from Mike. Today I start out from a stop and notice a funny shift or slip and the engine light came on. I then noticed my trans was stuck in 4th and no reverse. I checked te codes and found a P0733,P0776,P0700 code. I cleared them and put it in reverse and the dash reading advised me to put in neutral to reset. This didn't help and I still have the codes. Please Help Mike L :confused:or whoever may be able to. Also throwing a P2723 code now

Last edited:

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
Sounds like what mine did when my tcm went out.. And being a 2011 that's a good possibility for you I believe.. Not sure on what your codes are saying though.

catmenace

Jul 31, 2010
Thanks, I got a PM from Mike L who said the same....most likely the TCM. When it comes to Trans issues,he is the tranny God!!

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
A new tcm will need to be programmed. Your local dealer should be able to do it.

catmenace

Jul 31, 2010
ok, so I need to take the truck in, bearing in mind that this tranny is a Mike L built one? Also I have the EFI Live Duramax Spade tuner with larger size tires and DEF Delete. I take it that makes a difference to the TCM tune or do I just reflash my tuner with the Spade Tuner and it looks after the TCM part of everything.

Last edited:

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Your built trans, tires and delete makes no difference in programming the tcm. Just be very clear with the dealer that you only want the new tcm programmed and not to do any updates to the ecm. This is assuming you do not have a trans tune

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

catmenace

Jul 31, 2010
Thanks appreciate the info. One more question. Does the TCM have to be installed in the vehicle to tune or can you just purchace the TCM and have them tune it stand alone?

Last edited:

duramaxmt

Apr 15, 2016
Anaconda mt.
I purchased a tcm off of ebay and the seller programmed my vin into it before he sent it to me and it worked fine did not have to go to the dealer Dan
pcmperformance is the name of the ebay store

catmenace

Jul 31, 2010
Well I got my TCM from pcmperformance and installed it. I now know it is not the TCM and the truck now will not go into any gear, making a high pitched noise from the tranny. Called a tow truck and going into a tranny shop here in Maple Ridge, BC, Canada. Will find out more tomorrow when they open it up. This Mike L. Tranny has at most 20K on it. I tow a fiver with it only several times. No races or pulls. Mike L., I will let you know what they say is wrong. I know it's a piece of machinery and things do go wrong.:confused:

catmenace

Jul 31, 2010
Looks like the trans (GMAX) is toast so I have decided to go all out. Talked to Scott at SDP and I am going to do an engine build (it will be Trippin at Socal that supplies that), twins and obviously a rebuild on the tranny. I will rely on Scott to determine what build but looking at around 850HP for my purposes.:thumb:

Chad006

Drag racer wannabe
Feb 12, 2015
Goodlow, B.C.
Have you contacted Mike about it after determining it was hard parts? Scotts an awesome guy to deal with and you won't be disappointed! Just haven't heard of anyone having issues with one of mikes.

catmenace

Jul 31, 2010
I did talk to Mike today and I will know more what actually occurred tomorrow. Mike L. is a great standup guy and this has nothing to do with his build. These are mechanical things and things do happen. The only reason I got hold of Scott is that he also has a great reputation and is close to where I am.

catmenace

Jul 31, 2010
Well I found out what the codes were all about. I turns out that the snap ring let go. Talked to Mike L and he advised this is rare but has seen it happen. I guess mechanical things do suddenly put one over on you!. I will attach some pics and wouldn't mind some advise on this one.

View attachment 43394

View attachment 43395[/ATTACH]

Last edited:

catmenace

Jul 31, 2010
I am not blaming anyone as this can happen. As I stated before, I have all the respect for Mike and he know his stuff. This is a FYI as apparently very rare. Sucks when you only have below 15K on the build.
Anyways, I got bucked off my horse. Time to dust myself off and get things ready to ride.

catmenace

Jul 31, 2010
Ya, that's what everyone is saying....don't know why the clip would let go like that. Mike, I sent you a PM with details of where truck is located and contact info for the guy working on it.

Last edited: