Need help front end or somthing poping or thud like sound.

NemesisDP

Apr 20, 2008
Bloomfield New Mexico
Well after spending the day looking all over the front of the truck to try and find what is poping/ thud sound on the passanger side I failed to find it. Checked all steering, cognito, pitman, sleeves, nerf bars, wheel bearings, down pipe, battery, exhaust and out of ideas. Can't make the truck do it over bumps, starting stopping, turning the wheels, driving slow or fast just dose it evey now and then? Any Ideas? Put it in 4x4 and didn't hear it. Could it be in the transfer case? Can fell it on the passagnger side on your feet/ seat.

THANKS

Randy07GMAX

Sep 19, 2008
I had the same prob when I put on my nerf bars, I don't know if you have some on your ride. But the bracket from the nerf bar was hitting where it mounted to the frame. If you don't have nerf bars, I have no idea what it is if you checked everything else.

NemesisDP

Apr 20, 2008
Bloomfield New Mexico
Thanks guys I guess I will put it back on the lift and pull off one thing at a time. Nerf bars then one by one check every thing else again. Almost sounds like the cab is poping.

shark1

Sep 13, 2009
Im haveing a simular problem i get a "POPING" sound when im on the brakes and coming to a stop, and when i leave and squeze the throttle a bit agresivly it pops multiple times. Dose this sound like a ball joint ?

duckfandan

Jan 24, 2010
I had a similar problem with my truck and took it to the dealership and they told me it was the body mounts. Under certain conditions, normal movement between the frame and the #1, #2 or #3 body mounts may cause a pop or clunk type noise to occur.
It was a known problem for 2004 -2008 Silverados and they fixed it by installing insulators on the body mounts. This noise can be heard and/or felt at either the driver's or front passenger floor pan area.

Here is another post describing the problem and solution:

http://duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15753

ICULKN

And Yes I drive it !!
Jan 6, 2010
SO CAL / New York
I also been having the same type of noise, but I have pretty much all new front suspension and steering parts. The noise only when on uneven road/driveway, never flat ground. But I do have Kodiak drop down steps that mount to the frame with 2 bolts and to the rocker panel with 2 bolts. And after reading that write up from GM and them talking about the floor boards ??. There is a little flex between the cab and frame. Thats the reason for rubber mounts. Has to be the steps and the mounting hardware. I am not sure how or if any one else has the same type or other steps/floor boards.

duckfandan

Jan 24, 2010
Mine "popped" in the floorboard area, you could feel it down by your feet/engine cowl area. After getting the body mount insulators, it never happened again. I did not have any steps, running boards or nerf bars mounted either.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I always thought it was just my steps making the noise as they do rub the frame when it flexes when I turn sharp over uneven ground.

Now I'm thinking it's the body mounts.

Last edited: