LBZ: Need Advice, New to Tuning

macanic21

Nov 15, 2018
Thanks guys. I updated the trans setup some more as it didn't quite get to where I wanted.

I attached an updated ECU tune with more timing in down low. I also attached an excel sheet that will help illustrate what I'm saying.

Using the timing calculator will cause you to pull a lot of timing out of it down low. Factory timing is well over 100% at low fueling. The excel sheet I attached allows you to paste in two tables. It then spits out the difference between the two. You can then paste in the cells from the stock table (for example) where the stock table has more timing, into your modified table. Maybe there is a way to do this with EFILive but I don't know how. I also added a little more on top of the stock numbers based on your recommendations. This sheet is also useful for comparing different tables within the stock tune such as Base A vs Base B.

Another interesting point is above 90mm3 at 3400 RPM the stock table is way over 50/50. I left my setup at 50/50 to be easier on head gaskets.

I also updated the other Timing Base tables. A is the only different one and it adds 2* at 20mm3 and below to account for the lack of pilot. I wish I had a dyno so I could figure out the effect of the pilot injection amounts. It seriously looks like some nerd was sitting in the truck during the emissions test highlighting cells and punching numbers in to beat the EPA regulations.

Remember guys:
Factory ECU's are emissions control devices that have the side effect of allowing your engine to run. You can thank yourselves for not participating enough in your government for that one.

Attachments

• JH ECM v12.1.ctz
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • Math Sheet.zip
    31 KB · Views: 13

macanic21

Nov 15, 2018
I'm pretty happy with this tuneup at this point. Let me know what you think.

Thanks guys!

Now I'm moving to developing a full manual mode and fixing the cold temp lockup issue with my trans tuneup.

Attachments

• JH ECM v12.2.ctz
    1 MB · Views: 6

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
FWIW, if you're trying to make it lockup when temps are cold, dont. It keeps the converter unlocked to help build fluid temp. Dont reinvent the wheel.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I'm assuming he means he wants to make manual mode actually command the gear that is selected.

If that is correct, then the only way I know of doing it is giving up either normal or T/H and setting the shift tables really low. I've done this before and it works but I don't know of any other way to get it to work without giving up one of the other modes

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
If that is correct, then the only way I know of doing it is giving up either normal or T/H and setting the shift tables really low. I've done this before and it works but I don't know of any other way to get it to work without giving up one of the other modes
Yep, I have done it too. It was neat, but I didn't really care for it enough to keep it.

macanic21

Nov 15, 2018
FWIW, if you're trying to make it lockup when temps are cold, dont. It keeps the converter unlocked to help build fluid temp. Dont reinvent the wheel.

I'm not trying to do that. However, I can't find anything in the TCM tables that controls that either.

macanic21

Nov 15, 2018

This is the route I'm taking.
Either the TCM doesn't know its in manual (not the case), or EFILive just doesn't have those tables mapped out. My plan is to put it in manual position, then engage tow/haul to select the flattened shift point tables. I got it kind of working so far. It will hold a gear for the most part, i just have something crossed up because it doesn't run up through the gears yet.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Was very easy to to. Didn't have any issues.

On your upshift table, make 2nd something like 4mph, 3rd at 6mph, 4th at 8mph and so on. On the downshift just zero it all out. Then you can play with your TCC lockup mph after you give it a try

The tables are all there to do this. Manual mode uses the same shift tables. All it does is restrict the upshift to whatever gear you have it on. The remaining shift strategy is the same

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
Not that this is what you are after, but keep in mind your desired torque table through pedal position can also alter shift points in a since. It's really easy, and of course zero chances of making a mistake with the tcm tables.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
But there is no specific T/H torque tables in the ecm that I am aware of. You would end up always needing to be in manual mode that way.

macanic21

Nov 15, 2018
Pattern B is the TH table.

I could never figure out why I got that studder when locking up the TC so I basically went back to the stock tuneup, just lowered 5th and 6th upshift so it will idle along at 50mph on my local roads instead of 1700 RPM for no reason.

I'm going to fool around with the "manual mode" instead of the normal shift patterns I think. It sucks it's just going to be a slush box when there is real potential there....

Anyone know a good trans tuner I could buy a tune from?

Attachments

• TH Shift Tables.jpg
    TH Shift Tables.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 14

macanic21

Nov 15, 2018
Here is where I'm at with the tunes. I ended up with too much fuel on the big tune for my torque converter I think judging by the way it felt. I backed off the pulse width here.

The issue I have on the higher HP settings is that it feels like the Trans is limiting the power output constantly. It runs up in RPM but feels like its not making any power and doesn't go anywhere.

Is there some parameters I can log to determine if the trans is slipping or if its just overwhelming the converter when its unlocked? Or, is it the trans requesting defuel? I haven't changed the defuel settings in the trans, only matched the torque table to the engine torque table.

Attachments

• DSP5.4.ctz
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • JH TCM v11.3.ctz
    97.7 KB · Views: 5

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I could never figure out why I got that studder when locking up the TC so I basically went back to the stock tuneup, just lowered 5th and 6th upshift so it will idle along at 50mph on my local roads instead of 1700 RPM for no reason.

I found that table D5070 & D5071 to be helpful with that

Edit: just looked at your tune. your D5071 is maxed out. even at zero throttle. that will likely cause it. you need to log where/when it studers and drop that down some

Last edited:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Here is where I'm at with the tunes. I ended up with too much fuel on the big tune for my torque converter I think judging by the way it felt. I backed off the pulse width here.

The issue I have on the higher HP settings is that it feels like the Trans is limiting the power output constantly. It runs up in RPM but feels like its not making any power and doesn't go anywhere.

Is there some parameters I can log to determine if the trans is slipping or if its just overwhelming the converter when its unlocked? Or, is it the trans requesting defuel? I haven't changed the defuel settings in the trans, only matched the torque table to the engine torque table.

look at "transmission converter clutch slip", "requested torque reduction", "torque management duty cycle"

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I found that table D5070 & D5071 to be helpful with that

Edit: just looked at your tune. your D5071 is maxed out. even at zero throttle. that will likely cause it. you need to log where/when it studers and drop that down some
Neither of those tables is modified from stock in his tune.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
if the converter is shuttering, i doubt the tune will fix it unless you back off power. specially after lock up has been completed.