Nasty Girl hits 10.65

ZR1160

TT Dmax Junkie
Jan 12, 2007
Eastern Canada
So saying if the Allison is not a viable low 10sec street driven, heavy truck option what are the options, is a built 48R the only one? Is the 68RFE stronger?...............:confused: For the sake of tech conversation, if money was a non issue, are there other options?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Problem with bleachbox burnouts and letting the Alli upshift during that period is wheel speed starts slowing down as the tires dry and gain traction. The speed sensor picks this signal up and pressure begins to drop in the Alli because the TCM figures you are slowing down yet you are full throttle with a lot of hp. Not good.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
So saying if the Allison is not a viable low 10sec street driven, heavy truck option what are the options, is a built 48R the only one? Is the 68RFE stronger?...............:confused: For the sake of tech conversation, if money was a non issue, are there other options?

A common misconception is that the Dodge transmissions are surviving. They aren't.

Drag racing 3 1/2 ton trucks is fairly new ground still. You cut that weight in half and there are plenty of options.

But another problem will bite you in the arse at that point. Gearing. The Allison has a big OD, but most racing transmissions don't. Without the overdrive, you need to replace you axles since the AAM stuff bottoms out at 3.42.

Part of the problem is impact loading, which needs to be avoided. A violent launch or shift will break more than just an Allison 1000, it will break pretty much the entire drivetrain. I busted a Tcase, but others have broken axles, driveshafts, etc.

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
I agree and have heard the same about the Dodge trans.

Unfortunatley they are far cheaper to repair and replace than the Ally stuff.

If we know we are gonna break i'd rather replace the less expensive one.:D

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
A common misconception is that the Dodge transmissions are surviving. They aren't.

Drag racing 3 1/2 ton trucks is fairly new ground still. You cut that weight in half and there are plenty of options.

But another problem will bite you in the arse at that point. Gearing. The Allison has a big OD, but most racing transmissions don't. Without the overdrive, you need to replace you axles since the AAM stuff bottoms out at 3.42.

Part of the problem is impact loading, which needs to be avoided. A violent launch or shift will break more than just an Allison 1000, it will break pretty much the entire drivetrain. I busted a Tcase, but others have broken axles, driveshafts, etc.

we have yet to break a duraflight tranny,not saying it cant be done,just not yet by us.we still have stock gearing in the rear end and have run mid-upper 130s in the 1/4.

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
I agree and have heard the same about the Dodge trans.

Unfortunatley they are far cheaper to repair and replace than the Ally stuff.

If we know we are gonna break i'd rather replace the less expensive one.:D
a properly built dodge tranny will cost as much or more than a comparable ally...just an fyi

Last edited:

ZR1160

TT Dmax Junkie
Jan 12, 2007
Eastern Canada

Seem like just being aware of the weakness and trying to minimize them helps. But how so you cut a 1.5x 60 ft and be easy doing it?:confused:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I've probably missed it but Spruill, you all are using a 48RE like from behind a CR and not an older model from behind the 12V or 24V.

C-ya

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
You'll find me on a lot of sites...the one you mention isn't one of them. Sorry.

only because you would be the first to get banned from a unbiased site, cause your a douche bag whose moderation "powers" has gone to his head!!!!

you and the rest of the comp d crew have made your mark well know and seen, now you will have to reap what you sowed.

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
you d-max guys would get much more out of a 4L80E if you looked into it a bit more, than an alli or a dodge tranny.......
i know who can build one to handle over 3000HP and 2700lbs of TQ

for less than you think!!:cool2:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
you d-max guys would get much more out of a 4L80E if you looked into it a bit more, than an alli or a dodge tranny.......
i know who can build one to handle over 3000HP and 2700lbs of TQ

for less than you think!!:cool2:

I keep hearing things of this nature as well. Whose your guy?