Allison 6sp: My TCM woes, why is it so different from Josh's?

dubious

Jan 28, 2010
Alberta
I have been comparing my TCM tune with Josh's 6 speed TCM tune.

Under general parameters, I am missing some key functions his tune has.

please feel free to compare.

His OS is different than mine, but also allows adaptave learning for kickdown, and upshifting.

the main differences I am seeing is mine:
D1570 Mod main pressure Gsol enable low temp --- - MINE -10C ---- Josh= -10
D1780 Mod main pressure Gsol disable low temp ---- MINE 45C ---- Josh= -15
D1581 Mod main pressure Gsol disable high temp ---- MINE -15C -----Josh= 150
D1582 Mod main pressure Gsol enable low temp ---- MINE 43C ---- Josh= 145

also his upshift adapts are enabled, that option not even listed in mine
his kickdown adapts also enabled, no option for me again.

My trans does not seem to be learning either.

I would also note my TCM locked counter is zero, compared to his 254

I took it to the dealer, and since they count the flashes, they would not do it, as their records show it has the latest updates.....

Please help me to understand why my TCM is configured so different.

just the solenoid temp settings seem backwards, the numbers for min and max are inverted for mine aren't they?

:confused:

Now how do I convince GM my OS is fubarred without admitting I have used EFI live to pull and check my calibrations?

If they would fix my TCM, I would never ask for transmission warantee again.
My plan is to instal a built trans, but the TCM obviously must be right first.

Please help me understand what is wrong, right or different here.

I need a good TCM and OS!

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

dubious

Jan 28, 2010
Alberta
I am missing something.
Do I need to use a filesharing host? or can i load it right off my PC?
I am having problems getting the complete properties address off the tune file for some reason, wheras pictures are so simple.
do I use PHP tags, or "insert link" ?

Last edited:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Maybe Josh doesn't have the latest update which is why you are seeing the differences.

I had the latest update but I reloaded my prior TCM tune so now I'm back running the ol'skool one.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
You should be able to full flash the TCM with Josh's if you wanted to as well.

Mitco39

Feb 1, 2010
You should be able to full flash the TCM with Josh's if you wanted to as well.

As far as I know EFI Live has not released full support for these controllers. Therefore Full flashes are not supported (but hopefully will be very soon). So the only way you could do this is if you have a friend with a Tech II that could flash the TCM for you.

To me it seems like there are some buggy OS's for the Allison, kind of like the 5speeds.

Heres the link from the EFI Site that I referred to about the full flash.
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?p=112851

I believe what your seeing dubious is infact the changes from overheating transmission calibration. The reason you are not seeing some of the tables on Josh's TCM is because of the full support from efi live. Its not that you dont have them, its that they havent been 'found' for that particular OS.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I thought you could but it's been so long since I flashed my TCM I can't remember 100%.:eek:
Maybe I'm thinking of the ECM being able to full flash in one of the updates in the last 6 months........
Either way a tech II can do it.

dubious

Jan 28, 2010
Alberta
hey guys thanks for responses.
I don't have any friends with Tech 2, and even if he was willing, the dealer counts and logs all reflashes.
I asked them to reflash the OS, and the response is the same everytime... you already have the latest OS, and update.

well the latest is not a very stable system, with bugs to be worked out yet.

a new TCM here is prohibitivley expensive.

is there anyone stateside selling them , programmed already?

aren't the temps for the gsol enables and disables I listed inverted?

I can't handle the blank stares anymore

when they see the truck, they blame everything on my tires and lift, and have no empathy at all.
arghhhhh :mad:

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
As far ad I know efi has no plans for full support of the 6 speed tcm. Apparently just doing a full read on one would take over an hour....

Info from a post I saw Cindy make

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Sorry, I don't know why yours is so different. I know a while back I compared my TCM tune to another 6 speed TCM tune, and like you, we also noticed the extra tables mine had. Don't know what to tell you about the G solenoid tables. Wish I could help. I never modified those cells, and since I assume yours is also stock, it could be a mapping problem with EFI. Maybe try posting this in EFILive's forum on their website.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Josh's truck is an 06, yours is an 07. The 2007 OS is missing the adapt enable tables you mentioned (or Ross hasn't found them yet). Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with your calibration.

Stock, Tables D5179, D5180, D5181 & D5182 should be 14.0, 5.0, 302.0 & 293.0, respectively, or at least they are on the 06 & 07 tunes I have.

dubious

Jan 28, 2010
Alberta
Josh's truck is an 06, yours is an 07. The 2007 OS is missing the adapt enable tables you mentioned (or Ross hasn't found them yet). Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with your calibration.

Stock, Tables D5179, D5180, D5181 & D5182 should be 14.0, 5.0, 302.0 & 293.0, respectively, or at least they are on the 06 & 07 tunes I have.

good catch on the D5179, .

so my GOS parameters are inverted then.
Thanks for the info Cougar, and Josh.

and it still seems like my trans is not learning...hmmmm

it keeps holding 5th and bogging on the downshift , instead of dropping to 4th, but it only does it inetrmittent, as well a TC lock up is intermittent unless its in tow haul. when it does lock, it doesn't want to unlock when i go to zero throttle too.

I feel like I am getting somewhere now, at least able to confirm that my TCM is different, and I am 98% certain theer is something wrong with it, not just in my head.

I am almost willing to cancell any warantee related to the trans and get it flashed back to the 06 OS, so that I will have a stable TCM, for the built trans I intend to install.

Right now I'm scared my POS TCM will burn up a strong transmission.

soon GM will not rebuild trannies for me anymore, and they are not listening, they are not looking at my TCM.
everytime I get, " its the latest update, there is nothing we can do for you" .

They totally dismiss me because its lifted truck.

Anyone in Alberta have a tech 2 to rent out? haha.

Last edited:

dubious

Jan 28, 2010
Alberta
Thanks Kat.

That is the first time I saw that tune. I noticed right away it has the same calibration, but different OS than mine.
Also confirms the GOS parameters on mine are different than anyone else for some reason.

Since they are different OS, I can not compare them with the EFI software comparison, but i have opened both files seperatly, and am manualy checking differences.
so far thay are the same as my stock tune.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
You might want to look at H0136. I've found that adjusting that value to match the tires you have changes the way it shifts. According to some info I found, your 36x15.5x20 MTZ's make 322 revs per mile. Stock is 682. YMMV.

Last edited:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
good catch on the D5179, .

so my GOS parameters are inverted then.
Thanks for the info Cougar, and Josh.

and it still seems like my trans is not learning...hmmmm

it keeps holding 5th and bogging on the downshift , instead of dropping to 4th, but it only does it inetrmittent, as well a TC lock up is intermittent unless its in tow haul. when it does lock, it doesn't want to unlock when i go to zero throttle too.

I feel like I am getting somewhere now, at least able to confirm that my TCM is different, and I am 98% certain theer is something wrong with it, not just in my head.

I am almost willing to cancell any warantee related to the trans and get it flashed back to the 06 OS, so that I will have a stable TCM, for the built trans I intend to install.

Right now I'm scared my POS TCM will burn up a strong transmission.

soon GM will not rebuild trannies for me anymore, and they are not listening, they are not looking at my TCM.
everytime I get, " its the latest update, there is nothing we can do for you" .

They totally dismiss me because its lifted truck.

Anyone in Alberta have a tech 2 to rent out? haha.

Which dealer are you taking it to? I have had good luck with Stettler GM!