My "Butcher" Tune

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Because just about every table has been modified to such an extent that it no longer looks anything like stock. some will laugh, some cry and others will ridicule. the few brave willing to try it will likely find it works quite well.

I've been running this tune for over a year now and it runs strong but smooth on my rig. I don't have much time in it at the higher elevations but I have made some modifications based on the few logs I did make. Not sure how well it will do up there passed 6k feet. I've spent a lot of time to try and eliminate excessive smoke while still not hurting spool up too much.

be aware this is a stock transmission killer tune so only built trans guys please. ;). I've also modified my shift points quite a bit too so that may help it run better on mine then yours.

this is for the truck in my sig, an 08 LMM

If you are brave enough, please give me your feedback. all others, give me a good laugh. but on a serious note: if you do see something "dangerous" let me know

OS version: 12628594

Please update your tire size before uploading.

Thanks, Jason

EDIT: Added my acumpaning transmission tune from before I went to 4:56 rear end. OS# 12628594

Attachments

• LMM_Butcher Tune.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Reactions: RMJ_LB7

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
86 views but no one is brave enough to try it, let alone open the file and comment? I swear, it is not a virus haha 🤥. Well I guess if no one wants to try out my super duper premium take you to the moon tune then I guess I get to have it all to myself :cool:

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
A few things that I noticed; not sure if you feel any big defuels on part throttle shifts, but if so its more than likely your torque based fuel tables calling for quite a bit more mm3 at a given torque value than stock. I did something similar when I first started, and once I returned it close to stock it really cleaned up my shifts.

You have pilot turned off in table B1021. This is a no no with the LMM. If you do a WOT log you will see why. Youll limit your max timing, and the trucks wont even come close to running at desired timing. Best thing you can do is lower pilot 1 pulse to 150 at 190mpa. Thats as low as itll go..

There is alot you can do in your boost tables. Your charger must run a shit ton of vane position at the lower mm3 values at lower rpms. Its a good thing your fuel pressure table is linear left to right. Your pulse table is the same way. If you had a normal fuel pressure map I'd think the truck would accelerate very erratically. I would suggest using less of the linear function, and use the smoothing functions more.

You also have quite a bit of pilot timing. I have found less pilot timing in areas to be a big help in mpg/spool/soot control/egts etc..

Also, B0795 isnt doing you any favors at all for smoke control. Up to about 1.0 is low boost areas if that gives you any insight on those values. Ive never been able to log those values and had to do it by trial/error.

I'm not knocking what you've built. I liked to see how your mind was working with a few different things! Doesn't seem to be alot of guys doing this stuff and talking about much anymore.I wish I would have been into this stuff 12 years ago..

I did however make some changes to your tune file. Maybe it will be a good tune for you build off of? Alot of what you have done in your current file reminds me of the things I was doing a few years ago. It took me a long time to have the ah ha moments, and whatnot. Good luck! Glad to see someone else brave enough to converse about this stuff!

Attachments

• LMM_Butcher Tune V2.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 24

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
Oh also, dont get worried about the fuel pressure tables. If you go into the ect correction tables you'll see I'm adding fuel pressure in there. It just raises the ceiling for adding extra fuel pressure in the 30-60mm3 areas. Without doing this, I found a limit to the amount of fuel pressure I could add.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
thanks for the feedback. I tried to open your modified tune but the zip file appears to be damaged. when I try to extract the contents it says the zip file is empty. I tried downloading and opening it several times all with the same results. maybe you have to remake it and upload it again.

I'll try and answer or explain my reasoning or observations on the various tables and why I have some the way you see.

No issues with shifting. it is actually really smooth. only time I get a little bump is on lower throttle input and the triple disk torque converter locks. I'll probably play with the trans tables on this more but it is starting to feel like I am running into diminishing returns on those tables and basically settled on what I got. and from my understanding is that the allison was never programed with a triple disk TC in mind so getting them to lock smoothly at low throttle is sometimes not possible. I have adjusted the torque table (D5196) to match the ECM, this seemed to help big time in getting the trans to learn the shifts and shift smoothly. From my logs it still appears to defuel properly.

For B1021, I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. timing at WOT matches pretty close to the timing table, Usual less then one degree or so difference in the log vs the tune. I have read about that issue before a while back and I'm not sure why I don't see it on mine. I would have to relog the pilot to see if it is behaving properly but I don't remember anything out of the ordinary on the logs a few years back when I was building that part of the tune

vanes seem to hang around 50-70% at light throttle and load, like when running around residential areas. boost seems to come on quick and doesn't smoke much more than a puff when getting on it.

Fuel Pressure table. I found that if I don't have some increase in the right side of the table the timing calculator doesn't work right. I had to make the 4800 rpm columb higher than the 200 rpm columb enough to make each cell in a row different so that the timing calculator would calculate the table correctly. I think I traced it down to how the calculator rounds the fuel pressure table cells and then references to them. also, I like the way it ran when I had the fuel pressure come up with the fuel demand. it seemed to run smoother and quieter as opposed to high pressure at low fuel or vise versa. in otherwards, getting the pressure when you need it

as for the smoothing vs linear. when I help others on their tunes, I will use the smoothing more than anything else. more so because I am not trying to "Butcher" their tune but refine it and smooth out how it runs. I rarely rebuild complete tables for people but more try and guide them to making those tables themselves. but to be honest I like the linear function better so use it on my own tune when I feel like it

the pulse table was based entirely on how it ran with each modification I made. I saw no reason to have such high PW on the bottom left as it is an area that will never be met. and if for some reason it did happen to end up there I figured it was best not having it so high. so, in the end I ended up with the bottom row all the same. as I progressed I found it started looking more and more like I should give a completely linear a try and it worked. so I used it. it gave me the feel I was looking for and made it real easy to tweek it. just raise or lower the top or bottom row and then linear flatten it.

Pilot timing is one area I wish I could get better results with. I have tried so many variations. going higher, going low. inbetween, all over the place and in the end. there was no meaningful difference between them. I could not really tell any difference in how the engine ran and there was no difference in MPG or how clean it ran. I basically gave up and settled on what you see there

B0795 is built completely on cleanliness and spool up. I tried setting it up based on what few threads talk about it with either no boost/throttle response or too much smoke before boost. I think because of how I have my PW and other tables I can't follow the traditional numbers anymore. I played with it quite extensively for over a month trying to get it dialed in and found that if I somewhat match the way the PW is layed out I was getting more predictable results. I then just had to find the right top and bottom numbers. and like you it was mostly by trial and error

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
Try right clicking and then rename, change the .zip to .ctz

Attachments

• LMM_Butcher Tune V2.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Haha, you "butchered" my tune!

looks a lot like most of the "standard" tunes you see around here but with a bit more refinement and smoothing applied. not to different then the few i've made. I need to get a smog check so I will give it a try after so as to not reset my readiness monitors.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Edited my first post to add the transmission tune that I ran before I went to larger tires and 4:56 rear end. I'm sure some will hate the way it runs but I like snappy downshifts when I press the accelerator. Helps the RPMs come up and build boost quicker. gave me that "rocket launch" effect when you want to pass someone or beat the light 😁

MackeyLB7

Jul 10, 2020
A few things that I noticed; not sure if you feel any big defuels on part throttle shifts, but if so its more than likely your torque based fuel tables calling for quite a bit more mm3 at a given torque value than stock. I did something similar when I first started, and once I returned it close to stock it really cleaned up my shifts.

You have pilot turned off in table B1021. This is a no no with the LMM. If you do a WOT log you will see why. Youll limit your max timing, and the trucks wont even come close to running at desired timing. Best thing you can do is lower pilot 1 pulse to 150 at 190mpa. Thats as low as itll go..

There is alot you can do in your boost tables. Your charger must run a shit ton of vane position at the lower mm3 values at lower rpms. Its a good thing your fuel pressure table is linear left to right. Your pulse table is the same way. If you had a normal fuel pressure map I'd think the truck would accelerate very erratically. I would suggest using less of the linear function, and use the smoothing functions more.

You also have quite a bit of pilot timing. I have found less pilot timing in areas to be a big help in mpg/spool/soot control/egts etc..

Also, B0795 isnt doing you any favors at all for smoke control. Up to about 1.0 is low boost areas if that gives you any insight on those values. Ive never been able to log those values and had to do it by trial/error.

I'm not knocking what you've built. I liked to see how your mind was working with a few different things! Doesn't seem to be alot of guys doing this stuff and talking about much anymore.I wish I would have been into this stuff 12 years ago..

I did however make some changes to your tune file. Maybe it will be a good tune for you build off of? Alot of what you have done in your current file reminds me of the things I was doing a few years ago. It took me a long time to have the ah ha moments, and whatnot. Good luck! Glad to see someone else brave enough to converse about this stuff!

Please make me 5 tunes for my LB7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
LB7 uses a different strategy so the information here may not necessarily work for it. especially the defuel

MackeyLB7

Jul 10, 2020
LB7 uses a different strategy so the information here may not necessarily work for it. especially the defuel

Yeah I just need someone that actually knows what there doing that I can trust not to screw up my truck but not so professional they are being watched by the epa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
create a separate thread and ask your questions there. if you just want a tune and don't intend on making one yourself then contact some of the vendors here and ask them for one