MWE groove

dmaxlover

Mar 17, 2007
WI
Has anyone ever seen a turbo with the MWE groove forward of the compressor wheel instead of over it?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
It would not be a MWE groove if it wasn't down inside the wheel area.

The charger tries to compress air, but the doesn't have enough RPM to force it all the way down the impeller. So the MWE groove permits the wheel to bleed off some air, effectively acting like a smaller wheel.

Contrary to what some people think, air goes OUT the MWE groove, and reduces the max turbo output a bit. Real racing turbos don't have MWE's normally.

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
i was told it helps surging turbos like when you let off the throttle real quick and the turbo surges. The MWE helps bleed off air fast to keep surging down :confused:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
It widens the left area of the map.

You can bark a turbo even with a mwe, like our stockers do.

Bark is when there is not enough drive pressure to keep the boost from trying to spin to the impeller backwards.

Because it takes less shaft RPM to make boost with a MWE, it also can make it more difficult to bark the turbo, but it can't stop it.

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
right ok yeah i was told that it just helps but doesn't stop it. Thanks for clearing that up Pat. I was also told moving the MWE in the right spot can also improve power as it will suck air in and aid in feeding the turbo. Specially in the classes like the famous 2.6 class and such. But I guess thats why the turbo shops get paid the big bucks lol

pmeg1

May 28, 2008
right ok yeah i was told that it just helps but doesn't stop it. Thanks for clearing that up Pat. I was also told moving the MWE in the right spot can also improve power as it will suck air in and aid in feeding the turbo. Specially in the classes like the famous 2.6 class and such. But I guess thats why the turbo shops get paid the big bucks lol

Super farm guys claim 75-125 HP on the engine dyne with a MWE groove. I have no idea whether that's right or wrong.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Mwe

Depends on were you put it or I should say were the rules let you put it, but ya it will make more power. Anyone that thinks different needs to look a a good 2.6 turbo and what there doing to them. Jeff

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Dunno.

I know that air always travel from high pressure to low pressure. I know that the reason for the groove is to allow air to escape. And when you look at maps where the mwe is an option, there is a slight drop in efficiency and pressure ratio.

If you're going to run one, then put it as close to the tip as the rules allow, but if it's not in front of the tip, I can't see how a blade that is 90 deg to groove is going create a suction. Take a house fan, hold your hand to the side of it. Is it sucking air into the fan? Nope.

If the impeller is way bigger than it should be for the turbine, then it will show gains, but not because air is being drawn in. It will be because you can't drive the impeller fast enough, and the mwe will allow it to spin faster. If that's the case, the stock location would be fine. But the better fix would be a larger turbine.

JMK777

16's, but i keep em clean
Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
I opened up the mwe on the ihi lb7 turbo and it spools faster and i get the same amount of boost but it is easier to bark.

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
When running a say 80 mm wheel behind a 2.6' hole the grove becomes more of an inducer to the larger part of the wheel, the sucton created behind the small hole will draw the air through the groove, placement of the groove and size makes a big differnce as well, but most puller rules limit size and placement!