ML Converter driveability question.

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
I resently went from a stock 6 sp Ally to a stage 3 w/ ML converter. (see sig for other mods)

I was running a predator on the 120 setting with the stock ally. Now with the new trans and converter it seems to take more throttle to get my truck moving. Is this normal for this converter? This is my first modded trans so I didn't really know what to expect.

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
It doesn't matter what tune it's on it's the same on all of them.
I mentioned it to Dustin on the test drive after the build. Maybe this is how it is supposed to be I'm just asking. I just know off idle performance isn't what it was. I have been trying to get Dustin to make some changes to my tunes but I'm not having much luck with that.

And Tony...no it doesn't try to back up in neutral.

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
Once it gets thru shifting yes...except on the race tune it P0087's on me really quick.
There seems to be alot of defuel on the shifts on all the tunes also.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
could what lag between you pushing the pedal and the truck moving be the stall on the TC? how long ago was the tranny put in? it may be shifting and acting funny because you havent put enough miles on it yet.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I don't think it's converter. I have not felt any lost power in the low end with this converter. I bet I've installed 400 of them.

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
Wierd, I can only speak of my own experiences but I had a stg iv and ml put in mine and my builder left the ppe 225 tune in it so it would learn it and I picked it up and he said go put your foot into it. So I did. Then I got efi live and I can tell it's laggy on the big tunes but that's how it should b. If I run around on the stock tune its hard to even tell the trans is built. Very smooth. I'm thinking maybe a tuning issue?

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
when is the last time you changed your fuel filter? :rofl: and what psi is the air dog set at?

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Wierd, I can only speak of my own experiences but I had a stg iv and ml put in mine and my builder left the ppe 225 tune in it so it would learn it and I picked it up and he said go put your foot into it. So I did. Then I got efi live and I can tell it's laggy on the big tunes but that's how it should b. If I run around on the stock tune its hard to even tell the trans is built. Very smooth. I'm thinking maybe a tuning issue?

Yes, mine was the same way and Rob re-did my tunes after I sent him a log. Night and day difference, I love my truck again.

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
I had the up's and downpipes installed at the same time as the trans was built. I noticed yesterday it doesn't do it as bad when the engine is cold. I put some #2 in the tank for the first time in a while...have been running Jet A as I have had access to alot lately here at work...and maybe that is whats causing it. I'm trying to get some updated tunes from Dustin but not having much luck.

I don't think anything is wrong with the trans build or the converter. It's my first built trans and I'm just trying to find out how it's supposed to feel. Just driving normal it shifts just like the stock trans did.