Mitusa Pump? on a LBZ?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I'm considering getting the Mitusa or Kennedy pumps. I just got a email from Opie that he doesn't have a kit for the LBZ. Whats different about the LBZ that the others won't work on it? IIRC that what Subman ran on his LBZ. Who all are vendors for the Mitusa I heard MikeL and Rob where, but....

Thanks

Last edited:

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008
I put one on mine and I had to cut a fin off of the radiator shroud then modify the mount for the pump. The belt was too long because I could not slide the pump all the way over because the radiator hose was in the way. Overall it wasn't too hard to make work. I love my MITUSA. The only complaint I have is the placement of the filter. My front end is pretty low and I was backing out of a buddies driveway and the curb caught it. I spilt fuel for a long ways before realizing what happened. When I finally figured out what had happened I had lost several gallons of fuel. Luckily LT1BRD came and picked me up and we went over to oreillys and got a new filter. Oddly enough the filter we found is shorter and doesn't stick out so much so hopefully that won't happen again.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
What kit do you order it for the LLY, LB7, or are they the same? Could you get me some pics so I can see what you had to mod? I'm opting to not have a filter since I have a Nicktane. I asked about the return and Opie said it returns internally to itself. I though a bunch where returning it to the filler neck or is that only if you use his filter?

I like the idea of Mitusa since it sounds like it will feed anything enough fuel. And it sounds like you have to step up to a 3rd Kennedy much beyond a stock turbo. Plus it should live forever and there is no electrical draw. Any chance you noticed any drop in mileage with the pump added to the accessory belt?

ZR1160

TT Dmax Junkie
Jan 12, 2007
Eastern Canada
There would never be enough extra strain to cause a drop in mileage, the pump almost turns effortlessly.

I have over 100,000 miles on my MITUSA pump, the filter in my kit is after the pump, therefore any debris from the pump wouldn't get to the injectors. As for the return, mine goes back to the filler neck (major PITA) it chokes off the filler neck, making it take fuel very slowly. You can tie the return into the supply line from the tank. ( the purpose of the return line is to regulate pressure. via a check valve with a spring and shims.)

The true beauty of the MITUSA pump is that it feeds the CP3 after the FICM allowing you to give lots of lift pump pressure without blowing the seal out of the FICM.....I run my pump at 20psi...which is actually better for the CP3.

You can also tie in a shut off solenoid on the return line with a Hobbs switch so at boost it will let the MITUSA pump go up full pressure (around 80 psi).

My kit does have the "fuel log" as well, its only purpose is to allow fuel to bypass the MITUSA pump if the belt brakes, I have never broken a belt.

I did also have to "Clearance"the TCM cover the pump shaft can hit it when the motor is under torque.

Last edited:

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
if you tied into the supply line with a T with the return line (thinking of both for the mitusa and the stock return), would it foam the fuel more and cause pump cavitation?

ZR1160

TT Dmax Junkie
Jan 12, 2007
Eastern Canada
You would want it as far as you can and still be under the hood, I wouldn't get it too close, cause that could happen.......

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Oddly enough the filter we found is shorter and doesn't stick out so much so hopefully that won't happen again.

You probably got your hands on a van filter. Anyway what did you need to do about making the belt fit tight? Modify the bracket holding the pump on, or did you find a shorter belt? This is on my on going list of things to buy :D

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
don't send the payment with a delivery confirmation that has to be signed cause he won't go down to the post office to get it.