metal in oil

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
for you engine builders out there what is normal for particles in the oil/oil filter? I have about 400 miles on this engine now. I'm a little nervous how I keep getting metal particles in the oil filter when I cut it apart. its the 3rd filter I have cut apart with about 200 on this filter. I thought by now it would be pretty clear. I cannot really find anything trapped in the pleats of the filter its self other than yellow paint from the oil galley plugs, and occasional small chunks of silicone. What has me worried, is the metallic paint looking oil that I have in the red solo cup that I drained from the filter and canister, and also very small flat flakes. Most of them seem to be magnetic. So small I cannot zoom my phone in enough to really take a good picture of it. I let the truck sit for 24 hours, and I also drained a little from the drain plug and I can see the occasional sparkle in the oil that came from the bottom of the pan. I'm wondering if the flakes are still debris from the previous destruction. I used the s475 and the feed and return lines from the previous engine. I cleaned them out the best I could but who knows if I got it all.
Also, I'm wondering about the black stuff you see in the center of the solo cup? its not metal, and just disapates in my fingers if I rub them together. Possible paint flaking off that I may have over sprayed? I also welded in a bung for a drain on the lower oil pan and maybe its flaking off there.
IMG_20220822_184047698_HDR[1].jpg
img_20220822_184013764_hdr-1-jpg.109451
IMG_20220822_183940190_HDR[1].jpgIMG_20220822_183449520_HDR[1].jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220822_184013764_HDR[1].jpg
    IMG_20220822_184013764_HDR[1].jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 123

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I can't really comment on what you're seeing. I would definitely be concerned about it. Do you have a sample of the oil you could send off to a lab to have it Is analyzed to see what's in the oil? If you do Shake It Up before you make the sample that way any of the heavier metal trunks aren't just settled to the bottom.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
I can't really comment on what you're seeing. I would definitely be concerned about it. Do you have a sample of the oil you could send off to a lab to have it Is analyzed to see what's in the oil? If you do Shake It Up before you make the sample that way any of the heavier metal trunks aren't just settled to the bottom.
I have already sent a sample in to blackstone, but haven't seen a report yet. Not sure how long it usually takes.

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
I have no reference for the Duramax engine but have had several big block Chevrolet's built and for the first few oil changes their is quite a bit of material in the oil/filter. I've been beating on this one for years (currently in it's 3rd pulling truck without a rebuild) and it's still going strong. On it's first few oil changes I cut open the filter and there was a TON more than what you have in yours (actually was VERY concerned at the time).

They are two different platforms (gas vs diesel), (BBC vs Duramax), and (Competition vs Driver), and most likely different clearances, but thought I'd share what I've found. While definitely continue to research, what I saw in your pics wouldn't OVERLY concern me vs what I saw from the engines in my pull trucks.

Reactions: Bdsankey

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
My initial thought is that someone failed to clean the block after the machine work. While I don't have extensive engine rebuilding experience, I have done a few and have never experienced this result. I sure hope your engine isn't damaged by this.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
My initial thought is that someone failed to clean the block after the machine work. While I don't have extensive engine rebuilding experience, I have done a few and have never experienced this result. I sure hope your engine isn't damaged by this.
The guy that did the machine work is very thorough. While some of it may be from machine work, I highly doubt all of it is. I was hoping some of the members here would have first hand experience with fresh built motors and cutting the filters apart and looking. I've read lots from Google, and I find it difficult to nail down what's normal and what's not.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
I have no reference for the Duramax engine but have had several big block Chevrolet's built and for the first few oil changes their is quite a bit of material in the oil/filter. I've been beating on this one for years (currently in it's 3rd pulling truck without a rebuild) and it's still going strong. On it's first few oil changes I cut open the filter and there was a TON more than what you have in yours (actually was VERY concerned at the time).

They are two different platforms (gas vs diesel), (BBC vs Duramax), and (Competition vs Driver), and most likely different clearances, but thought I'd share what I've found. While definitely continue to research, what I saw in your pics wouldn't OVERLY concern me vs what I saw from the engines in my pull trucks.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I'll be anxiously waiting to see what the analysis shows.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
the metal isnt an issue but the paint and silicone sure is.

if you are getting a concerning about of it, id suggest dropping the pan and making sure the pickup is not sucking it up into the screen

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
is it hard to pull the pan with the engine in the truck? im not even sure where the silicone would be coming from other than small chunks that got in there when I cleaned the surface when I had the two pans off when I had coolant getting into the oil. I imagine they could plug some small passage ways, but wouldnt the filter pick them up?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
is it hard to pull the pan with the engine in the truck? im not even sure where the silicone would be coming from other than small chunks that got in there when I cleaned the surface when I had the two pans off when I had coolant getting into the oil. I imagine they could plug some small passage ways, but wouldnt the filter pick them up?
no its not.

The pickup has a screen on it. if you plug that up with shit, it will starve the engine of oil. silicone and paint flecks dont make it through that screen.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
I know the flakes came from putting the factory oil galley plugs back in. They have that yellow paint, and I must not have gotten it all wiped off the bolt. I'm surprised it hasnt all been circulated out by now.

LSxBakakos

May 29, 2022
Illinois
Debris is normal after machining final wash etc, a lot of guys overlook de-burring the bottom of the cylinders after honing etc and some also install cam bearings prior to the final wash which is never a good idea/traps debris much like you're seeing there. If it was non metallic I'd be worried. We used to run our engines on the Dyno, do a elevated idle up to temp, dump cut the filter and inspect and occasionally see debris like this. Normally up until around the 1000mi mark you'll notice some particles as it makes its way out of oil galleys, valleys, oil coolers etc, but thankfully your filter is doing it's job correctly. Color wise if you do run a oil that's high in zinc it'll also have a glimmer to it. If your builder is local and reputable you can always bag the debris and talk to him about it just to ease your mind. Personally it's nothing I'd drop the pan over

Reactions: Leadfoot

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
I got my analysis back. everything seems to be ok. The silicone did show up. I guess ill just keep running it. I still have the fuel knock sound I asked everyone about earlier, but i'm being told its normal for the engine/ fueling I have. oil analysis.png