MBRP 4" Turndown Kit

C-DUB

Jun 26, 2013
BC Canada
Hope this is the right spot to put this.

2007 LBZ ExCab, Short Box Classic. How does everyone else's MBRP kit fit?

Mine was a joke, all the parts matched to instruction sheets, but fitment wasn't even close. Hangers were way off where they needed to be, and I had to Torch/Bend 2 out of the 3 just so they could come close to going in the isolators on the frame. When we got to the back, the axle dump exited more than half into the spare tire, so I had to remove the spare tire (which isn't a big deal, but the instructions claim to clear the tire fine)

Worst part is after everything was installed, the Chrome Tip doesn't even fit? Tip Fits on the 18" spare extension pipe the kit came with, but the axle dump tail pipe is slightly larger in Diameter than the inside of the Tip. I would say its about 1/16" larger than it should be, and there is no way in hell I can get the Tip on the pipe. Only way I see it getting on, is taking it to a Shop and getting the Tip expanded a bit...

I've worked on a lot of cars over the years, no diesels until now, so I REALLY don't think it is me screwing this up, but I won't toss that out completely yet :confused:. Buddy and I were under there for probably an hour spining and moving the pieces around before tightening the hangers to see if it would go differently to no avail...

SteveLBZ06

Jan 6, 2013
Central MA
I've done 2 mbrp kits, one on my lbz and one on an lmm. Mine is 409 and fit well. The kit on the lmm was aluminized and a pain in the ass. Don't know if it was a fluke but seems like quality control was better on the stainless kit

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
My aluminized MBRP kit from 6 years ago fit like an absolute dream! It practically fell into place.

Maybe quality has gone down?

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
They all do magnaflo, flo pro, diamond eye, mbrp, silver line blah blah I've installed them all they all have issues if you want a turn down exhaust buy a normal 4 tb kit and just don't put the tailpipe on it'll clear the spare and the over the axle piece isn't flared out like the damn turn down kits

C-DUB

Jun 26, 2013
BC Canada
They all do magnaflo, flo pro, diamond eye, mbrp, silver line blah blah I've installed them all they all have issues if you want a turn down exhaust buy a normal 4 tb kit and just don't put the tailpipe on it'll clear the spare and the over the axle piece isn't flared out like the damn turn down kits

Agreed. Looking at the rear pipe on this turn down kit, I wish I would have done the other way.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Ive got 5" turndown and other than cuttin less off a section per the instructions for a ECLB mine fit great. I will say though i spent over an hr wiggling it to get it right and i moved all the rubber hanger mounts to make it work. Technically its not correct but i have awesome clearance now

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012

This^^^
That's what I did, works great and it was the only way for me to clear the aftermarket swaybar I installed :D
But I actually cut the tailpipe piece and it is installed...
It's a little off in this pic, cuz the exhaust is not connected at the downpipe (I've got the turbo out) but you get the idea...

flbpf5.jpg

Sorry to hear about that crappy experience with an MBRP product...I've used their stuff a couple times for 2 different rigs, a chevy and a gmc, fitment was spot on both times...

Last edited:

C-DUB

Jun 26, 2013
BC Canada
Got the tip on yesterday at least :thumb:

Hydraulic Expansion machine made the Tip seem like a paper towel roll :D Slipped right on after that and was able to get a T-Bolt clamp to squeeze it down enough to get the original bolt to tighten it onto the exhaust.