Manual Trans LB7

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
Whats the best way to build a manual trans to hold up under the lb7 the truck is around 600 horse power

from what I have read all you need is a good dual disc clutch. I dont believe there is alot of aftermarket support for the ZF6. I all I know is that if you sled pull with it stay in the low range of the T-Case and you shouldnt have any issues. I have heard that people pulling the high range have snapped output shafts.

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
Yep a good clutch should do it. Like mentioned, the output shafts have shown some trouble sledpulling in high range on the big power trucks but all in all the ZFs are tough!!

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Jeff don't open that can of worms. Gauranteed Valair bashing will ensue. :D

2X.

SBC builds the clutchs for my truck and 05_LLY. That should tell you all you to know about their product.

Ed

A good clutch with a solid flywheel setup is all you need.

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas
I run a Valair and have been more than pleased with it. I will not bash southbends clutches as several on here have proven how tuff they are. I do not bring up Valair anymore because y'all tend to play favorites on clutches. :hug:

JOHNBOY

Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
I run a Valair and have been more than pleased with it. I will not bash southbends clutches as several on here have proven how tuff they are. I do not bring up Valair anymore because y'all tend to play favorites on clutches. :hug:

I am glad you like your Valair. We play favorites because it works. I did not start out a fan of SBC. I hurt one of their doubles bad back years ago. I really liked my Mac's Dual disk but I overpowered it with the new engine. Reluctantly I called and talked to Peter about getting a triple disk. He assured me that they had come along way since then the dual disk I had. I have one of the first triple disks. I has worked great for me.

Alot of clutches will hold up well at the 500rwhp area that most will never get past. Ed asked about 600hp. The only clutch that has proven to hold that in a performance enivorment are the SBC and the nolonger made Macs.

Valair could be a contender but no one has poven them at that kind of power yet. Also last I called Valair there dual was not SFI certified. No way I would reccomend a non SFI clutch for anything over stock HP. wikdllmm saying
Valair makes a badass dual disc also for the zf6
is total cheerleading. He does not have a a ZF6 so what makes him qualified to say that. I am sure it was meant in good nature.

I like my SBC. I beat it at the track. My truck is one of the strongest running ZF6s trucks. That no one can deny. Caleb (05_LLY) runns a SBC also. He is the first Dmax manual in the 12s, and the the first and only Dmax or any diesel light truck in the 11s. That equals proven.

Has Valair had anyone run a 12 yet or do halfway decent pulling for a whole season? Not that I know of.

I have been thru 6 clutches I think that makes me some what of an expert on them.

For me South Bend Clutch!:thumb:

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas
Like I've said in another thread. If it works for you then great. I like my Valair and I'm pretty sure I have the only dd he has made for the ZF. So I guess I better get to work and get in the 12s and I've already had one season of pulling on my clutch. Until it let's me down (which I don't think it will) I will keep running his clutch.

I don't think Jeff was cheerleading either. He has seen my truck first hand and what I have put it through.

JOHNBOY

Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
This isn't cheerleading or bragging. ;)

Cheerleading is pimping or talking up something you have no expereince with.

Both 05_LLY and I have expereince with ZF6s.

Bragging. Yep. But we can back it up.:)
We both back are built engines with a South Bend Clutch.;)

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas
Then I guess you need to make a sticky and tell everyone that doesn't have experience with a ZF to not talk about clutches. And the same should go with building engines and what not. All Jeff was doing was saying that Valair can make a good clutch for the ZF.

JOHNBOY

Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Then I guess you need to make a sticky and tell everyone that doesn't have experience with a ZF to not talk about clutches. And the same should go with building engines and what not. All Jeff was doing was saying that Valair can make a good clutch for the ZF.

:rolleyes:

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
Cheerleading is pimping or talking up something you have no expereince with.

Both 05_LLY and I have expereince with ZF6s.

Bragging. Yep. But we can back it up.:)
We both back are built engines with a South Bend Clutch.;)

:D Nuff Said!!:thumb: