Manifolds or just up pipes

NRA223

May 20, 2015
I've been driving myself nuts reading on the topic of just up pipes or up pipes and manifolds. It seems like it comes down to application and use vs cost. My truck is a DD that i also drag race. I already have an LML manifold so i am considering just adding up pipes to that. Is that the route to go for my situation or should i fork out the cash for the manifolds as well, or none of the above? I'm willing to spend the money if i will see a decent gain in ET.

1SloLMM

Oct 25, 2014
Sioux City, IA
What kind of power do you want to make? If its not much over stock just buy an lb7 passenger side up pipe and call it good. If you buy up pipes your into it 600 bucks so why not spend 350 more for both. I got lucky and found a used set for 600

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
What kind of power do you want to make? If its not much over stock just buy an lb7 passenger side up pipe and call it good. If you buy up pipes your into it 600 bucks so why not spend 350 more for both. I got lucky and found a used set for 600

He has an 01 :poke:

OP if you plan to keep advancing your power goal, do both. If you are happy around the 500ish mark then just so uppipes would be a nice addition.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
He has an 01 :poke:

OP if you plan to keep advancing your power goal, do both. If you are happy around the 500ish mark then just so uppipes would be a nice addition.

X2
If you're not going much over stock, up pipes are the best bang for your buck. If you're wanting big power than manifolds and up pipes will be better.

Thanks for the link Mike!:thumb: Open up the turbo helps a lot as well.

Yellowchevy

NRA223

May 20, 2015
I already have a Stealth64 turbo and 30% exergy injectors so i should be in the 610 rwhp ballpark already. Do they matter at that level?

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
If you're on a budget the up pipes and the LML manifold are a good investment.

Of course the aftermarket manifolds and up pipes are the next step up.

If you can swing the headers they do the most for the performance all the way around. I have had a few people that have had various manufacturers manifolds and up pipes that have went to the log headers and up pipes. All liked them better.

All of our products have been around for years and we are constantly updating them. We also take the time to do some things others don't to make ours what we feel is the best.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
X2
If you're not going much over stock, up pipes are the best bang for your buck. If you're wanting big power than manifolds and up pipes will be better.

Thanks for the link Mike!:thumb: Open up the turbo helps a lot as well.

Yellowchevy

The small things add up with overall performance and drivability, modifications minus the lift pump are done for now.

Last edited:

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
If your going ringer aftermarket ones, I'd spend the extra to have hem ceramic coated. They look and way better and it sucks spending the money on them just to have them covered in rust in a few days. Mine still look new.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
If your going ringer aftermarket ones, I'd spend the extra to have hem ceramic coated. They look and way better and it sucks spending the money on them just to have them covered in rust in a few days. Mine still look new.

Agree 100% I had both my uppipes and manis ceramic coated and they look way better and help hold in heat well too. I got about a 50* drop in underhood temps coated vs raw using an infrared gun. The heat stays inside the pipes instead of dispersing into to the engine bay.

NRA223

May 20, 2015
Agree 100% I had both my uppipes and manis ceramic coated and they look way better and help hold in heat well too. I got about a 50* drop in underhood temps coated vs raw using an infrared gun. The heat stays inside the pipes instead of dispersing into to the engine bay.

You and i have similar set ups. Did you notice a good gain with yours? Also off topic did your boost tubes make a difference? I have been debating on those too

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I did boost tubes the same time I die manifolds and uppipes and port/polish turbo with the wetzel wheel so I can't say what helped and what didn't but overall it made a huge difference in EGT drop, throttle response, spoolup time, overall boost increase. I got my uppipes and manifolds from Yellowchevy and then I had them ceramic coated and I also heat wrapped the uppipes. Overall really happy with them. I did pay less for these then a full set of PPE or Profab setup but I didn't think I was going to go as far as I am, even though I'm super happy with my setup from Yellowchevy, if I did it all over again I would go with ricks suggestion he posted above.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I went 10.5 on stock manifolds up pipes and intercooler, went 10.5 with manifolds, up pipes and aftermarket intercooler.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I went 10.5 on stock manifolds up pipes and intercooler, went 10.5 with manifolds, up pipes and aftermarket intercooler.

Thats something a DF-person would post, Bri. You know there are too dang many variables to compare that.
Same track? Same D/A? Same truck setup otherwise? Same driver procedure? Same track prep? Etc, etc, etc.....

O/P, if the truck was stock-ish, just stay with stock parts. If you've after every last bit of power out of the stock setup, or have a larger turbo/better fueling, then the pipes and manifolds help. Not "holy shit" help, but more "help get the best out of the other parts".
As it is, you're on borrowed time anyway, so its just up to you if you want them or not. ;)

Last edited:

gamudslinger88

Aug 26, 2011
Hahaha you say this now?!?!?!?! I literally just got ppe mani and banks intercooler lol. It's all good though I had my mind up to buy some anyway.