Main Cap Walk

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
When tearing down my motor after my broken crank last week, I found some interesting metal transfer on the main bearing cap mating surfaces.

This motor was in the 1000whp range, but had billet main caps, studs, and a girdle.

Any thoughts on this? Does this block look salvageable?

Not sure how much of this happened after the crank broke; main cap 4 seems to have taken the worst of it.

All of the mains:

attachment.php

Main 1 (front, right near the break in the crank):

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Main 2:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Main 4:

attachment.php

attachment.php

All the caps:

attachment.php

Attachments

• all_mains_block.jpg
    all_mains_block.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 413
  • main_1_bearing.jpg
    main_1_bearing.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 405
  • main_1_block_race.jpg
    main_1_block_race.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 404
  • main_1_block_race2.jpg
    main_1_block_race2.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 409
  • main_2_block_race.jpg
    main_2_block_race.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 404
  • main_cap1.jpg
    main_cap1.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 405
  • main_races_block4.jpg
    main_races_block4.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 24
  • main_4_block_race (2).jpg
    main_4_block_race (2).jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 400
  • main_4_block_race.jpg
    main_4_block_race.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 399
  • main_races_block.jpg
    main_races_block.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 24
  • main_races_block2.jpg
    main_races_block2.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 25
  • main_races_block3.jpg
    main_races_block3.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 26
  • main_caps_1.jpg
    main_caps_1.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 401
  • main_races_block42.jpg
    main_races_block42.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 401

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Its hard to tell how deep those marks are on #4, but its usable.

Ask how much they would charge to skim the mating surfaces and rebore the mains. That will dictate if its cost effective to find a new core.

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT

Ask how much they would charge to skim the mating surfaces and rebore the mains. That will dictate if its cost effective to find a new core.

What happens with the girdle I have? Need shims on top of the main caps (assuming they'll be further below the surface of the bottom of the block)?

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
What happens with the girdle I have? Need shims on top of the main caps (assuming they'll be further below the surface of the bottom of the block)?

Dont use shims. Just deck the pan rails same amount as he takes from the saddle and caps. Cap walk can be from many things, too much stud TQ and too little, poor cap design, or even a uneven cap and mating surface.

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT

I've also got a decent amount of money into the rest of this block, as it's bored .020 over for my pistons. If it's savable, I'd save not only the cost of another core, but the cost of re-boring.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Hard to tell from the pics... If you have a trusted machine shop, I would take it down to them and see what they think.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Dont use shims. Just deck the pan rails same amount as he takes from the saddle and caps. Cap walk can be from many things, too much stud TQ and too little, poor cap design, or even a uneven cap and mating surface.
Question, b/c I dont know, but wouldn't reboring the mains change piston protrusion and/or move the piston higher into the cylinder? Or is it such a small amount of material we're talking about removing that none of it would matter?

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
Question, b/c I dont know, but wouldn't reboring the mains change piston protrusion and/or move the piston higher into the cylinder? Or is it such a small amount of material we're talking about removing that none of it would matter?

I believe you'd compensate for that with different size (OD) bearings, but I could be wrong.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho

It will change the centerline of the crank some... You wouldn't want to take much. A small amount could be taken up with thicker head gaskets... That's why I would take it to a trusted machine shop. They will know the maximum amount of material that could be removed.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I believe you'd compensate for that with different size (OD) bearings, but I could be wrong.

If you cut the Fretted surface away on the block it has shortened the cap, main bore distance. Once the mains are line bored, half the amount of material removed is the new crank centerline... Make sense?

Edit: Pretty sure the caps will have to be shaved slightly as well... Definitely would talk with a good machine shop.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
If the cap and block are both decked the same amount it won't change the centerline. And it's a tangent circle so I don't think it would need a over bore then made up with oversize bearings. It will just need line bored again. I don't think there would be any issue

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
This process does not change crank centerline at all when done correctly. Line bore/ hone is a must once caps are cut at all. Also will not change protrusion.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Actually ya know maybe I'm wrong. If you need to take .006 off each to get perfect again. You might need to actually take .006 off the block and .012 the cap. Idk what I was thinking the block won't move only the cap.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
If the cap and block are both decked the same amount it won't change the centerline. And it's a tangent circle so I don't think it would need a over bore then made up with oversize bearings. It will just need line bored again. I don't think there would be any issue

If you remove any material from the block where the cap rides, the crank will move towards cam, changing the crank centerline... The only way to not change the crank centerline would be oversize OD bearings & I'm not aware any exist?

rickaveryjr

Nov 29, 2012
CT
how do you shave material off of a cap's mating surface that has cross bolted mains and not have an alignment issue?

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
I'm not sure what bearings are available but if you hone the bore of the mains you will lose you pinch where the halves press against the bore of the main and they will walk easier. The notch at the half is for alignment during install, not to hold it when it's running. It's held by the OD of the bearing crushing against the ID of the main journal.

And if you hone the mains, your centerline should remain the same but clearance become looser. You would never hone just 1 half. And if you hone the halves, then cut the face of the mating surface, you create an untrue circle.

I'm no engine builder, but this could get hairy quick. We need a genius in here! Lol

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
My mains were align honed the first time the engine was built, they got aligned honed again when the crank broke. My block has been decked twice. I ended up with .012 protrusion with 16.5 fingers pistons.

rickaveryjr

Nov 29, 2012
CT
that's definitely adding extra stresses to the bolted assembly without the motor even running. I'd be curious how much this is done. I'd be reluctant to do it on a high hp motor