LML Lowering the LML.

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
Just put some 2" drop shackles on the LML. It looks better but the rear is still higher than the front. The CV angle is a ways from being parallel with the ground so I dont want to crank up the front anymore to match the rear.

The question I have is how much can I expect to go down by pulling the overload and one leaf out of the pack? I want to lower the front another 1"-1.5" just to get the CV's straight so I would need to go down 2-3" more in the rear.

Also, which leaf should I pull?

Always had a lifted truck so dropping one is all new to me. Any info is appreciated.

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
Get the front to where the cv's are flat. Once they are flat, measure the gap from the top of the tire to the wheel well. That measurement is what you will want the rear to be.

Your overload should be a good 1" thick. So taking that out will drop the rear 3" from stock with the shackles.

Take from the bottom of the leaf pack.

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
Not the best pic since the truck is looking uphill. I will get a better pic tomorrow.

aefe140a-ce88-8890.jpg

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
Just picked up a set of Pro Comp wheels 20x9 with a 5" BS. They will be going on once I decide on a tire. I love the Cooper Zeons and the S420's but the 4 ply B load rating is a concern. Looking for 305 50 20 or 285 50 20.

aefe140a-d750-10d2.jpg

crazycrew

Let's Start A Riot
Oct 3, 2009
S. Louisiana
The drop depends on what leaf you remove. Measure the thickness of the leaf you wanna remove, and that's the amount of drop you will achieve. When mine was dropped 2/4 I had 3" shackles and removed the overload. That gave me 4" total drop

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Overload is 1" or so, Ben I wouldnt remvoe more than that without adding some traction bars, once the overload is gone the axle will more around quite a bit more.

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
Overload is 1" or so, Ben I wouldnt remvoe more than that without adding some traction bars, once the overload is gone the axle will more around quite a bit more.

The overloads on the LML are a bit thicker than those on my LBZ. I would say a good 1"+ could be gained by removing them. I wanted to get it done this weekend but I had other things come up.

Traction bars would be a must if they were pulled. I was just under there Friday night looking at mounting points. I just hope pulling the OL's will be enough so that I can drop the front some.

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
4 leafs (2 per side) gone, lots of cussing and 8 full cranks down in the front!

Front CV's are perfectly parellel with the ground.

aefe10b1-7668-597d.jpg

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
Thanks! I love the new look! I was surprised at how much the factory cranked the torsions. I dont even want to think of what the CV angles would be with a front leveling kit!

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
Thanks! I love the new look! I was surprised at how much the factory cranked the torsions. I dont even want to think of what the CV angles would be with a front leveling kit!

Are they really cracked from the factory? It Definatly feels like my LML sits higher than my LBZ did with the bars cranked up to the sky

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
Yes, the pass side was almost bottomed out on the head of the bolt and the driver side was about 1/4 shy of touching. I think they had to jack up the front to try and make up for the super high rear end.

You have to think it took me 2" drop shacles, overload and another leaf pulled just to be able to get the front CVs straight.

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
Yeah the rear end is way higher than my LBZ was because I hate to get a hitch with a drop to keep my boat trailer level now that I think about it.

denali3500

Feb 4, 2014
Lml lowering

I have a 2012 lml that I'm dyeing to lower what kit did you use and how low can you get out of these trucks?thanks

crazycrew

Let's Start A Riot
Oct 3, 2009
S. Louisiana
How do you remove the leaf above the overload? Get have that metal clamp on it. Can.this clamp be easily removed and reinstalled?

I haven't really got down to looking, I just noticed it when I rotated the tires