LB7: Lower compression on 2 cylinders only when cold!!!!!!!

duramax-rob

duramax-rob
Nov 26, 2008
mt. home, ar
I need some help. My truck is at the dealer right now because when it is cold out, below 30 degees, it smokes when started and the colder it is, below 20 out, the more and the longer it smokes white and diesel smell. 2 years ago they replaced the injectors and everything was perfect. Last winter I had the fuel pump and regulator replaced. When picking it up from them the injectors blew the tops off of the left bank. They thought it was the fuel pump and replace it along with all new injectors(thought there might me metal in them from pump). After doing the replacements, while mechanic was test driving, it did it again. Blew white smoke, bad running and quit. Mechanic then found out that the return line on left bank had bottomed out, its on the back of the left head causing no fuel return, the banjo fitting on the outside back corner of the head, and fixed that and put new injectors on left bank. When I got it back it started to puff white smoke when cold but not during the spring summer and fall. We couldn't get it to do it when I would take it back cause it was always too warm. Told to bring it back when it got cold again.

Fast forward to this last week. Took back to dealer cause starting to smoke white and diesel smell when cold, the colder it gets, the longer it smokes and runs rough. All the injector check out ok with tech 2 as did last year. He finally took all the glow plugs out and did a compression check and on the left bank, 2 of the cylinders have 80 lbs lower compression when cold than all the rest. He said that they were still above minimum by 100 lbs.

Now the kicker. When plugged in over night and its cold out, block warm the compression is normal with the rest. Double checked and still the same.

Does any one have any clues as to why the difference on those 2 cylinders show difference compression? Could excessive back pressure on the injectors and blowing the tops off have caused something in the cylinders to cause the lower compression back last year when this started.. When I say it smokes when cold and smokes more and long the colder, say up to 2 minutes when at 18 degrees, and then like someone threw a switch, it quits smoking and runnning rough (I forgot to mention that earlier).

Does anyone have a clue, ideas, thoughts or help. Would really appreciate some help!!!!!!!:confused::confused:

Thanks

duramax-rob

duramax-rob
Nov 26, 2008
mt. home, ar
Just asking, if it was bent rods why would the compression go up with temperature. Wouldn't the compression ratio always be the same ratio whether its hot or cold in ratio to the other cylinders?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Even though the rods in my engine are tweaked, I do not have enough knowledge to give you a decent answer why only two cylinders have the problem.

I understand that combustion heat kind of takes up for a loss of compression...to a point. My truck smokes like a freighttrain at cold idle and has a noticeable lope at initial startup, but all that clears up and the engine runs "normally" after the it warms up.

Last edited:

duramax-rob

duramax-rob
Nov 26, 2008
mt. home, ar
I guess the thing I'm worried about is that whatever is wrong, it wasn't like that before I took it in to have the fuel pump and regulator replaced. It never smoked or had a rough idle when cold. I would like as many ideas as possible to give to the tech as possible in case he overlooked or didn't think of what could have happened. I know I have been in situations like that and someone has mentioned one I didn't think of and go aw s**t and that has fixed the problem.

The tech has been soo good about working on it for free and checking and double checking and he knows its not my fault, so he definately want to find out what's the problem is. He works on all my vehicles and takes the greatest of care with them. When he has a chance to get spare parts for me cars, he takes the time to pull them and save them for me.

I appreciate the responses from here and if anyone else can think of anything else, I would be GREATFUL.

Thanks Rob

duramax-rob

duramax-rob
Nov 26, 2008
mt. home, ar
If it is 2 bent rods, could that have been caused by the fuel return line being restricted and the non return fuel being forced into the cylinder, fuel not being compressable, bent the rods? Would the injectors allow that to happen?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
If it is 2 bent rods, could that have been caused by the fuel return line being restricted and the non return fuel being forced into the cylinder, fuel not being compressable, bent the rods? Would the injectors allow that to happen?
Possible, but like I said, Im not that knowledgeable on this topic.

Bad Rings!
x3, but I didnt want to say anything because of above reason given. I cant imagine what would cause two sets of rings to go bad but the others are fine. High EGTs?

Last edited:

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
I cant imagine what would cause two sets of rings to go bad but the others are fine. High EGTs?

Fuel wash.

I've seen it wipe out rings on a carbed V8 (but it was in all cylinders due to poor cam and jetting choice for engine and rpm range).
On an engine with individual fuel injectors per cylinder I could see it happening to random cylinders. The only thing is, people have lost injectors and filled their crankcase with diesel with minimal issues......?

Good luck and let us know what you find.

FMOS

Hard Up
Nov 19, 2008
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
Wouldn't bad rings cause pressure in the crankCase? You could idle it withthe oil dipstick out to check that I think. If you get air blowing or or oil from there or the breathers then it could be a possibility.

duramax-rob

duramax-rob
Nov 26, 2008
mt. home, ar
I want to thank you all for the responses. I'm thinking the the fuel wash of the rings might be possibility. Since the injectors blew from not having enough return, I'm tending to agree. I will call the dealer and talk to the tech monday or tuesday. They are about an hour away and will let ya'll know as soon as I find something out.

Many thanks to everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

duramax-rob

duramax-rob
Nov 26, 2008
mt. home, ar
I got the list of compressions in each cylinder both hot and cold. These are the cylinders numbers starting with #1 right front passangers side and ending with #8 drivers side rear
cold(engine block is 24 degrees temp)
1. 480 psi
2. 440 psi
3. 470 psi
4. 420 psi
5. 480 psi
6. 480 psi
7. 480 psi
8. 380 psi
The following compression test is with it cold outside 28 degrees and block heater plugged in overnight and block temperature of 120 degrees.
1. 480 psi
2. 440 psi
3. 470 psi
4. 470 psi
5. 480 psi
6. 480 psi
7. 480 psi
8. 440 psi
Notice #2,4,8 cylinders come up in pressure when block is warm .

Does anyone have any Ideas. I would really appreciate it.

Happy New Year to ALL!!!