Help: Low Oil pressure - LB7

Lance LB7

Nov 5, 2013
Kentucky
The other day while driving I noticed I had lost a lot of oil pressure. I've owned the truck for nearly six years and the oil pressure has always been excellent. I keep a close eye on it and it was like it dropped overnight. I went from around 60psi at highway cruising speed (~1700 RPM) now down to 30 psi. And my hot idle dropped from 25 or so down to less than 15. My buddy's snap on cpu confirmed that the gauge is displaying exactly what the sensor is reading. The first thing we can think to try is the oil pressure switch? Injectors are good and I haven't been making any oil. Any thoughts?

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
Possible oil pressure pressure sensor. I would put a mechanical gauge on it to verify. When was its last oil change?

Lance LB7

Nov 5, 2013
Kentucky
The oil has about 9,000 miles on it. It's ready to be changed. But I always run it 10k and it's never done this. Rotella synthetic with a quart of Lucas synthetic stabilizer and an AMSoil filter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You need to take oil from the dip stick, let a drop hit a paper towel and look for a halo around the outside of the oil drop. That means fuel is in the oil

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
You need to take oil from the dip stick, let a drop hit a paper towel and look for a halo around the outside of the oil drop. That means fuel is in the oil

Or If the oil is super clean looking it's a good sign.

I use the short stick method.. Put all but an inch in and pull it back out and check it. (Insert that's what she said joke here)

Lance LB7

Nov 5, 2013
Kentucky
I did the drip test. I didn't see any halo on the paper towel. So now I'm back to doing a test with a manual gauge to see if the oil pressure really is low, or just replacing the oil pressure switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Or If the oil is super clean looking it's a good sign.

I use the short stick method.. Put all but an inch in and pull it back out and check it. (Insert that's what she said joke here)

Thats what she said. :roflmao: