Help: low coolant

02duramatic

Feb 5, 2009
been reading up on the low coolant threads, and curious, what is FICM? I am spewing coolant. i tightend hose clamp but that didnt solve anything, only spews under pressure, sounds like water pump area, i have ruled out hose clamp, my next guess is around the pipe that rises sorta diagnaly from water pump and has a wire on top. there is evidence of what looks like small old leaks around it. i think i added coolant in 2005/6 and then again last year, now it spews, so the old leak evidence explains why i lost coolant and have occasionaly smelled as well, but not any puddles. this week i added almost 1/2 gallon and after minimal driving, light back on. any details or info would be greatly appreaciated. 02 chevy, aproxx 75k

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
Theres a small coolant hose in the front of the motor right above/behind the cooling fan mount pulley that leaks and about a dozen other areas in that general vicinity that can leak coolant, but check all ur hoses first, there are two for the turbo one on each side.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
FICM is fuel injection control module

EDIT: My dad went through 2 waterpumps on his 2002 suburban, I think alot of people with that vintage truck had problems with their pumps going bad too

Last edited:

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
The FICM has fuel hoses that run to it to cool the module and is the box located on the passenger side front of the engine right behind the alternator, It controls the injectors.

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
been reading up on the low coolant threads, and curious, what is FICM? I am spewing coolant. i tightend hose clamp but that didnt solve anything, only spews under pressure, sounds like water pump area, i have ruled out hose clamp, my next guess is around the pipe that rises sorta diagnaly from water pump and has a wire on top. there is evidence of what looks like small old leaks around it. i think i added coolant in 2005/6 and then again last year, now it spews, so the old leak evidence explains why i lost coolant and have occasionaly smelled as well, but not any puddles. this week i added almost 1/2 gallon and after minimal driving, light back on. any details or info would be greatly appreaciated. 02 chevy, aproxx 75k

Pics are also good if you can get any.

02duramatic

Feb 5, 2009
thanks to those who replied. i was able to isolate the source of the leak tonight and its definetly the stinking weep hole on bottom of water pump. its really spewing under pressure. anyone have an idea on repair cost?

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
Labor anywhere from 4 to 7 hundo and the rest is just pump and coolant, dealer install comes with life time warranty in the USofA parts and labor.