Loud bang in reverse

Ec210b

Jan 18, 2017
Hi all
I have a 05 3500 dually with 242000 miles on it. I've had it since new. I tow my equipment with it every day. Lately it has started a few strange things but the most concerning thing is this loud bang when I give it gas in reverse. I can idel in reverse no problem but if I'm towing and have to throttle it it bangs loud and hard then works fine? I have greased the slip yoke, new ujoints and carrier berring. Had a friend watch when it did it and he said the rear end jumped. Any ideas what this can be?

Thanks in advance

Ec210b

Jan 18, 2017
Thanks for the replys
I was told that in the rear diff there is some sort of ratchet/latch that catches when you put it in reverse. Is this true? Do you think that could be the problem?

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Mine sort of does this in drive, like if I stop and then take off, it takes off fine but it has a clunk like something is hitting about a foot or less after I take off.

That is the infamous drive train "clunk". Need to grease the driveshaft where it goes into the transfer case. OP's issue sounds more complex than that.

Ec210b

Jan 18, 2017
IMG_1561.MOV.mov

I guess I'm going to look more into the transfer case rather than the rear. I was thinking the tcase was only in use when in 4wd? Is there somewhere I can look at a diagram to see exactly how the drivetrain works on my truck?

Thanks again
Adam

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
The power has to go through the transfer to get to the ass. Chrisuns will be the man for the transfer specifics but I blew one out of my old one ton just putting down the road. Shift fork bent and locked up the transfer and grenaded it.

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
Just jack up the truck. Spin one tire, if the other tire turns with ease most likely the rear is ok. Even in 2wd the pump in the Tcase is in use. Most Tcase problems happen in 2wd.

Ec210b

Jan 18, 2017
Thanks guys
I'm gunna drain tcase and see what I find and go from there. I'll be back with report and looking for more help. lol

Ec210b

Jan 18, 2017
Drained the tcase fluid. It was brown with some red still visible. Seemed to be almost a quart low. Was able to fish out one very small piece of steel with a magnet but nothing else. Even in the sun I couldn't find any more metal. Maybe slag off the threads? Then pulled the rear diff cover off. Seemed like a lot of slop to me. Had a kinda mechanic friend look at it and he said he's never seen a rear diff that worn and not broke. Could the rear be loading up in drive then when I give it gas in reverse that is the extreme bang I am hearing /feeling ?
Thanks for all the help
Adam

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Are you confident in rebuilding a rear end or transfer case if that's what's needed? Not to be a dick but if your not then take it to someone who is. It'll save you miney in the long run.

Ec210b

Jan 18, 2017
No I'm not confident rebuilding either. I just don't want to fix something that's not broken. You guys think they are both bad or could it just be the rear? Should I put all new parts in or buy reman or maybe something used out of a wrecked truck? The guy that was with me said even the axel splines are worn bad. What kind of money do you think I'm looking at?
Thanks again