lots of white smoke on start up

Righteyeblind

Aug 29, 2008
Fairbanks, AK
The first time I start my truck daily it makes a huge cloud of white smoke and then hazes for 5 minutes after the for the most part goes away. Smells like fuel pretty bad too. I checked my injectors and I had one the started at -4.44 and the after it idled for 5 mins went to -2.25. That was the only bad one I had the rest were in the zero range except one was +1.5. Any idea on this?

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
The first time I start my truck daily it makes a huge cloud of white smoke and then hazes for 5 minutes after the for the most part goes away. Smells like fuel pretty bad too. I checked my injectors and I had one the started at -4.44 and the after it idled for 5 mins went to -2.25. That was the only bad one I had the rest were in the zero range except one was +1.5. Any idea on this?

White smoke is only 2 things , bad injector or low compression usually , better do a compression test to be on the safe side .

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
A bad injector that white smokes will not show up on the balance rates. One way to rule it out would be to use the DVT and control pressure. Ramp it up 1 kpa at a time until it goes away. Then turn off controls and watch it come back in about ten seconds. That will confirm a internal leak that is allowing fuel into the cylinder when it isn't suppose to be there.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
A bad injector that white smokes will not show up on the balance rates. One way to rule it out would be to use the DVT and control pressure. Ramp it up 1 kpa at a time until it goes away. Then turn off controls and watch it come back in about ten seconds. That will confirm a internal leak that is allowing fuel into the cylinder when it isn't suppose to be there.

I shouldve told you this on the phone today Reece. Enable the DVT and turn each injector off one by one. And he did a compression test already Trent but hes going to recheck it after he does some other stuff. Peppers motor is coming out anyway :D:thumb:

Righteyeblind

Aug 29, 2008
Fairbanks, AK
Yeah Albert and I did a compression test but pulled only 1 glow plug out at a time. It hit 420-430 every cylinder but that was cranking until the comp. gauge maxed out.
I want it to be low compression because that is grounds for pulling the motor sooner and not having to buy a bare block.::thumb:
It is 15 deg here in the morning and it seems the colder it gets the worse the smoke gets. Does this help the diag? I will turn injector off one by one tomorrow and let you guys know. Thanks for the help!!!!

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
Well he should have noticed the leaky cylinder when he was doing his compression test.......cylinders aren't supposed to spit at you or better yet a piece of card board!

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Well he should have noticed the leaky cylinder when he was doing his compression test.......cylinders aren't supposed to spit at you or better yet a piece of card board!

I prefer the cardboard. No diesel spitting cobras for me

SDP

AKA Dmax15
Dec 20, 2008
Port Angeles, WA
I started noticing the same symptoms, shortly after I found I had a leak in the intercooler. I swapped it out a couple weeks ago and found out the leak was a pretty good size, but now it doesn't smoke at startup at all and runs much better. It actually loped at idle before:confused: but runs completely smooth now.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho

Well Reece & I had never done a compression test on one of these little guy's before. I talked with a friend at the dealer, he said we did it wrong (I kind of suspected that). We didn't pull all the glow plugs just one at a time, & cranked until each cylinder stopped building compression. I was told to remove all the glow plugs and only crank 4 puffs. Does that sound right guy's?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Remove all glow plugs, hook up a charger to keep the batteries from draining, and crank until the gauge stops going up. A bad cylinder won't build up no matter how much you crank on it.

Righteyeblind

Aug 29, 2008
Fairbanks, AK
Remove all glow plugs, hook up a charger to keep the batteries from draining, and crank until the gauge stops going up. A bad cylinder won't build up no matter how much you crank on it.

We will redo it. How much of a difference is it that we only removed 1 at a time? Battery charger was hooked up as well.

Righteyeblind

Aug 29, 2008
Fairbanks, AK
Turned off each injector one at a time today and smoke didnt go away. Everyone I turned off it ran the same amount of shitty. I guess skip the compression test and just pull the motor and build it. Im going to do it this winter anyways might as well be now.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
We will redo it. How much of a difference is it that we only removed 1 at a time? Battery charger was hooked up as well.
Shouldn't make much of a difference. The only thing I can think of that would make not removing glow plugs show a difference is if the gasket was blown between cylinders. It just doesn't turn over as easily when all the glow plugs are in. Robert's idea of looking for fuel being spit out of the glow plug holes is a good idea. With the FICM unplugged, the injectors won't fire, but a leaky injector will still shoot out fuel.

09darkdmaxx

Sep 26, 2010
this just happened to me after work today... :( into the shop this weekend to figure out.. any other advice guys:confused:

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Use the DVT and control the fuel pressure at idle. Ramp it up one kpa at a time. It will go away when the pressure gets to the point of sealing the leak on the ball and seat. If it doesn't go away it is either not the injector or it is a very bad leak. I will bet that it goes away at around 60 kpa though.