LB7: lots of smoke and burning oil

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I don't see what's going to "blow"... As in something exiting the block. It doesn't have lbz pistons so no risk there, the co.pression and leakage will just get progressively worse until the performance and mileage suffers.

Dmax87

Dec 3, 2013
Is the blow by puffing at all or is it a steady haze? Also turbo was mentioned before it is possible for the seals to be out of the turbo, 1 burning oil and 2 putting boost pressure into crankcase.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I don't see what's going to "blow"... As in something exiting the block. It doesn't have lbz pistons so no risk there, the co.pression and leakage will just get progressively worse until the performance and mileage suffers.

LB7 pistons still crack. dont assume because they are not LBZ and up, your in the clear.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Is the blow by puffing at all or is it a steady haze? Also turbo was mentioned before it is possible for the seals to be out of the turbo, 1 burning oil and 2 putting boost pressure into crankcase.

Its a consistant stream of smoke and its only when at operating temp. It won't even begin to do it until after 175*

The turbo could be a possibility and that was my next check.

Its also not burning a ton of oil either maybe a quart or two in a 3000 mile oil change interval.

Bluedodge

Jul 31, 2014
It's just blow by from your rings. They all do that, some are just worse than others. I have seen seals go out of turbos and cause this also. I have also seen a piston bust off one side of the pin bore, the pin hit the cylinder wall and put two 1/4" grooves in the bore and the motor still pass a compression and leak down check. If the motor still runs fine and isn't down on power, I'd say don't worry.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
It's just blow by from your rings. They all do that, some are just worse than others. I have seen seals go out of turbos and cause this also. I have also seen a piston bust off one side of the pin bore, the pin hit the cylinder wall and put two 1/4" grooves in the bore and the motor still pass a compression and leak down check. If the motor still runs fine and isn't down on power, I'd say don't worry.

Mine is definitely not normal, it went from not smoking at all to overly excessive in just a few days. But I'm going to drive it like it is.

Potthoffdmax

Mar 2, 2010
Kingman az
Mine did this after new head studs and gaskets and it was the valve seals. Sounds like the same problem i was having, smoke would go away after the truck warmed up.:eek:

Bluedodge

Jul 31, 2014
Overly excessive is when it it has so much pressure, it blows oil out of every gasket on the truck. A good compression is 400-450. Yours is getting a little tired. Heck I've seen them so bad they would blow the oil dipstick out 8" up out of the tube after a wot run.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Gm spec is 350-400 and 400 being a brand new motor. Regardless I'm still 50lbs under spec.

The smoke is bad enough that everyone around me rolls up there windows and curses at me. But not bad enough to blow out seals or cause any leaks.

Bluedodge

Jul 31, 2014
In 98.5 cummins went to a vapor bottle on there motors. Is was just a large had plastic bottle with large holes around the neck to catch all the oil and vapors and still let the engine breath. You might try to fab something like this up if your worried about upsetting people.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I don't care what other people think, I live in a state where everyone has a Prius or a Subaru so I couldn't make them happy if I tried.

Luckily I only have a year to go before I get my huge fat bonus and I can build my motor. Just hope I don't make the block uniseable in the mean time.