LBZ: Lost key help

LbZzF6RCLB

Feb 4, 2015
Butler Pa
Alright guys. So here's what I got. I lost my original key to my truck, and the spare is missing also. Called the lock smith. He said that he needs registration and proof of insurance. Which is understandable. He needs to make sure I'm the owner. I dont drive the truck on the road anymore. It's strictly for off road use. It's been awhile since its had insurance and an up to date registration card. I dont want to pay for insurance one day and then cancel the policy the same day cause it's not needed.. Also, I don't want to pay re-registation. Lock smith said it was going to cost 250 bucks. So I'm up to over 400 bucks just for one key ! I'm not doing that. So if there's any tricks or helpful information to get the truck to unlock the steering wheel and start without the original key, I could use it ha. Thanks in advance

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Cant you just go to a dealer with proof of ownership and have a key cut? You do have the title, dont you?

LbZzF6RCLB

Feb 4, 2015
Butler Pa
Honesty I don't know. When I was talking locksmith. He said GM would send him a code and he would get the key design from the code. But like I said, he needs that stuff to send to GM. GM won't release the code for him until I get registered and insured. Yes I have the title. I'm just going to have to wait until tomorrow to see if the local GM dealer can make me a key with just the title. I don't see why it would be a big deal. It's proof of ownership just a different way of proof. I even asked him. I said, will the title work for proof. He said GM needs everything. So I kinda gave up on the route. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow and see if they can do anything for me with my situation.

LbZzF6RCLB

Feb 4, 2015
Butler Pa
I've heard of people filing down a key that's similar and messing with it for a while and it unlocks the wheel but, I feel like that's real getto and half assed. I can't do something like that. Plus I feel as if a Dodge owner doing something like that. :rofl:

tsd_billy

Apr 5, 2016
oklahoma city
When i lost mine they made a foam mold in my tumbler and cut a metal copy. Never seen it done like that but it worked so ehh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Local locksmith charged me 6 with the key to cut a spare.

I have had keys cut by Vin for different vehicles too. No issues.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

exian88

Mar 25, 2016
Dealer charge for a key cut is between 10-70 dollar. Locksmith ask for 250?

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
ive had many keys cut for lots of trucks for my business. when employees have missed placed them ect. all you need is vin. done it atleast 10 times over the years.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
If your locksmith wants $250 and proof of ownership, you need a better (er, worse?) locksmith. Find the right locksmith and they will cut a key with just a VIN and some cash, no paperwork of any kind needed or wanted ;)

Which, sadly, is why our trucks are so easy to steal. But since it only takes one sketchy locksmith to break the system, what're going to do?

Since you have the title, I'd try a dealer, then some other locksmiths if the dealer won't do it. Last time, I think I coughed up $50 for the key cut to my VIN with the fancy GMC logo key and everything.

Sent from my FlashScan V2

LbZzF6RCLB

Feb 4, 2015
Butler Pa
When i lost mine they made a foam mold in my tumbler and cut a metal copy. Never seen it done like that but it worked so ehh

That sounds like a pain in the ass compared to the other methods but it worked for you so that's all that matters. I would like to see step by step on how they did that. Good new info :thumb:

LbZzF6RCLB

Feb 4, 2015
Butler Pa
ive had many keys cut for lots of trucks for my business. when employees have missed placed them ect. all you need is vin. done it atleast 10 times over the years.

That's good to hear ! Not that your employees have butter fingers but, all you needed was VIN. :thumb: