Lost 5th gear

DylOrr

May 26, 2010
Kinderhook, IL
Buddy has an 03 zf truck. This last weekend he was driving it and went to go to 5th and there was nothing. Pulled back on the shifter a little harder and 5th gear is there just off a little. Roll pin in shift rail or shift fork? I'm not too into these transmissions but can the rear cover be pulled and inspect all of the pins? TIA

Lance LB7

Nov 5, 2013
Kentucky
I don't think the cover can be pulled to inspect them. I lost 5th in mine a few years ago and the roll pin had backed out and let the fork slide down the rail. Sounds exactly like what you're talking about. Not a bad fix if it's just the roll pin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed04zf6

Ed04zf6
Oct 21, 2012
Nh
My trans just did the same thing this spring. I had lost 5th then 4th and 5th. I split the case and put the roll pin back in. As I was putting the cases together the input shaft wasn't seated right so I cracked a synchronizer gear. After that happened I took then whole trans apart and did a full rebuild. Has been great ever since. Splitting the case was fairly easy. I bought downloaded and printed a service manual off of eBay to help out.