Losing power steering and brakes on right turns only

DrtyMax07

Dec 12, 2008
When I turn to the right about 1/2 way to full lock the steering loses power steering (wheel actually will not turn anymore) and the brake pedal goes to the floor and has no brakes. Everything works fine turning left and driving straight, only does it trying to turn to the right. Anybody ever had this problem? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Gil714

Nov 19, 2014
The first thing to do is to check your fluid level. If the fluid level isn't up to cold level, at ambient temperature, fill the fluid level accordingly. From there, check for leaks on the hoses and seals. Typically, you will see leaks on the high pressure hoses from the hydro-booster to the gear and from the power steering pump to the gear. In addition, if you haven't done so, it's always a good idea to change and flush out the steering fluid every 24,000 miles or so. Feel free to search thru the forums here, there are many DYI post on the system fluid flush.

DrtyMax07

Dec 12, 2008
I forgot to mention that I have replaced the power steering pump so fluid is full and new. No leaks anywhere either. Its weird how it only happens turning to the right.

Gil714

Nov 19, 2014
Did you flush the power steering fluid out prior to replacing your power steering pump? Sometimes, you will find that the pressure relief valve gets stuck due to contamination from the old pump and denigration, internally, of the power steering hose.

If you didn't flush the system, it's good to do so. If you did already, try to bring the rpm up to 2200 rpm to see if you can unstick the valve. Otherwise, assuming nothing else was changed, check to see your tire pressure is correct, check your tie rods, steering stabilizer, bushings, etc. on the right side of your truck to see if there's any restriction from that. In addition, check the low pressure, high pressure lines, and seals for any leaks. From there, it's important to use the correct power steering fluid. If you can, stick with the factory AC Delco Fluid. Lastly, you didn't share the type of pump you got. Many of the pumps are manufactured and are of a poor quality and may be the root of your problem; however, I would check all of the above mentioned items before returning your power steering pump for an exchange.