Looking for Speakers

MaxComp88B

Mar 30, 2022
I have an 09 Chevy 2500. I have aftermarket boss head unit. It came with Bose Speakers from the factory. I am looking to add new speakers and keep stock Bose tweeters and maybe a small sub and amp. Can someone point me in the direction of a good speaker. Don’t need anything to crazy.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I wish you luck. I don't believe the OEM setup is full active meaning the tweeter and midbass (door speaker) are on individual channels. I could be wrong.

Personally I would run a high quality component set that fits size wise where the OEM tweeter is. This way you have an accurate and properly sized crossover.

As for an amp, I personally use Audio Control. Their amps are top tier components but they come at a price. The D-5.1300 is what I've recommended to quite a few friends due to it's output rating as well as being a full DSP for tuning/time alignment etc taking head units (for the most part) out of the equation.

Reactions: Hoser

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
When I did mine, I bypassed the Boss amp and installed my own amplifier. If I remember correctly, it was four channels. Basically front, rear, left and right. The rears have the woofers in the doors and the fronts have the tweeters along with the mids. There is also four discreet balanced line level channels that come from the head unit so your amp will have to be compatible with that if you replace it. Otherwise pull the signal from the rears for adding a sub.

Mine is cobbled together with my own parts and an amplifier module so nothing I would recommend copying. I kept the oem speakers. With the right amp they can sound pretty good.

Another issue you might run into is there is no "power on" wire like some of the earlier years. It uses a can bus or one of the other communication protocols to wake up and put to sleep the Boss amplifier. I pulled power from the RAP terminals under the driver foot well to turn on my amp

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I have an 09 Chevy 2500. I have aftermarket boss head unit. It came with Bose Speakers from the factory. I am looking to add new speakers and keep stock Bose tweeters and maybe a small sub and amp. Can someone point me in the direction of a good speaker. Don’t need anything to crazy.
Does your head unit have RCA outputs? For the Bose system you don’t need to change the head unit, the factory amp is trash. I tied into the low level wires at the amp connection under the center console and ran it to a 5 channel amp. Ran the speaker out wires right back into the factory amp connection under the center console and removed the factory amp. The factory speakers are actually decent 🤷🏻‍♂️ the tweeters use a resistor spliced in to reduce low frequency sounds. I didn’t bother trying it with the factory sub and just went aftermarket.

If your aftermarket head unit doesn’t have RCA outs I don’t think there’s a way for you to have better sound because you would be stuck with the line level converter.

Reactions: 2004LB7

MaxComp88B

Mar 30, 2022
I have a real nice Boss head unit. Ever since I installed the head unit unless equalizers are around -1 it doesn’t produce as pure of sound as I like. I do like to play music pretty loud. Sprenger’s arnt blown. I am not against changing out tweeters and everything. My head unit has all the good hookups for subs. I guess now it is down to best budget speakers and tweeters. I will find an amp but I want a good combo of speakers around 300ish dollars or less. What’s everyone’s go to brand for speakers or even a link