LB7: Looking for opinions on engine options

BigRed76

Jun 19, 2016
Loveland, CO
I just recently acquired an 04 lb7 truck that has a seized motor. I'm not going to tear into it to find out why its seized, mainly due to cost and lack of experience with dmax internals. I have two options as far as what to do, go with a used motor I got or a GM long block.

The used motor I got is a 02 lb7 complete motor with 303K on it, that needs injectors at minimum. I personally know the guy I bought it from, he said it had 2 dead injectors and ALOT of blowby, not sure if that's due to the dead injectors or not .He did a compression test and all were equal around 320. If I go with this motor it'll get injectors, injector cups resealed, cp3 pump, head gaskets, water pump, all other gaskets/seals, and whatever else it needs once I tear into it.

My dilemma here is I've read/heard that if the heads need any machine work it can get expensive quick, and seeing that this motor has 303K it most likely will.

The GM long block lb7 I can get for $5500, which comes with no injectors, so basically it would still need injectors, cp3 pump, water pump, and transfer over all the accessories.

The truck is going to be my DD, and I plan on putting a lot of miles on it, towing included. Its not going to be a race truck or anything crazy, but it will get things like efi live, lift pump, gauges, intake, LBZ mouthpiece, 3" downpipe, 4" or 5" exhaust, and potentially manifolds/up-pipes & bigger injectors.

So basically I want opinions on whether I should even bother putting money into the 303K mile motor or If I should just dive in and get a GM long block. Thanks in advance

DefiantArms

Limp Mode Cowboy
Jan 28, 2016
St. Augustine, FL
Really all depends on you and your budget you can buy complete running high mileage trucks for ~6k on ebay pull motor put in you truck and part out the rest to recope some money or you can build a motor it all depends on how far you lean to the right when sitting...

BigRed76

Jun 19, 2016
Loveland, CO
Really all depends on you and your budget you can buy complete running high mileage trucks for ~6k on ebay pull motor put in you truck and part out the rest to recope some money or you can build a motor it all depends on how far you lean to the right when sitting...

Yeah the idea of parting out a truck crossed my mind, but most of them will need injectors anyways. And the used motor I bought I only paid $1000 for which I thought was a good deal. If I don't use that motor for this truck it's not a waste because I have another project it could go in. I haven't really established a budget, I'll have 9-10k to put into it right away, but I know it's going to take more money/time to get it to where I want it.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
With an 04, you could always convert it to an LLY. You're not stuck having to use an LB7.

BigRed76

Jun 19, 2016
Loveland, CO
Just need heads, injectors, fuel rails, hp lines and a few other odds and ends. No need for an entire truck...

Yeah if I go the LLY route I'd just find a complete pullout. From the quick searching I've done so far I see complete low mileage LLYs going for 4-5K on ebay. Locally it's very hard to find any complete duramax engines, I was lucky to come across the LB7 that I got, and that was only because I knew the guy.

DefiantArms

Limp Mode Cowboy
Jan 28, 2016
St. Augustine, FL
Yeah if I go the LLY route I'd just find a complete pullout. From the quick searching I've done so far I see complete low mileage LLYs going for 4-5K on ebay. Locally it's very hard to find any complete duramax engines, I was lucky to come across the LB7 that I got, and that was only because I knew the guy.

Than you could sell parts from donor truck to help recoup fundige

BigRed76

Jun 19, 2016
Loveland, CO
So from what I'm reading is the LLY would be a plug & play swap since my truck is an 04, but the fuel gauge will read backwards unless I get efi live and change it. Does anyone know what issues I'll run into with the LLY ECM and FICM since the VIN in those modules won't match with the rest of the modules in the truck?

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Everyone is terrified of the lb7 injectors. It isn't much more work than any other ones. And they aren't more prone to going out than others. Usually have worse side effects is all.

Only reason I'd go for the swap would be to run a stg2r.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

BigRed76

Jun 19, 2016
Loveland, CO
Everyone is terrified of the lb7 injectors. It isn't much more work than any other ones. And they aren't more prone to going out than others. Usually have worse side effects is all.

Only reason I'd go for the swap would be to run a stg2r.

I'm certainly not afraid of lb7 injectors, but it does seem that the general consensus is that they still don't last as long as the newer injector designs. Although I know maintenance has a big factor in that. I do like the fact that lb7 injectors are cheaper.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I'm certainly not afraid of lb7 injectors, but it does seem that the general consensus is that they still don't last as long as the newer injector designs. Although I know maintenance has a big factor in that. I do like the fact that lb7 injectors are cheaper.
They don't last as long unless you have sac nozzles on them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Same percent over on either nozzle can make the same amount of power...