Looking for Allison build/install options near Virginia.

johnmyster

Nov 6, 2023
Lynchburg, Virginia
2006 LBZ:

When we tow our 5th wheel (about 17000 pounds combined) I can get some TC slip in 5th gear. Usually right at 1700 rpms, rolling into the throttle in 5th gear in rolling hills. 55 mph speed limit zones are the worst because it puts me right in that 1600-1750 rpm range. If I drive carefully I can avoid but it would be nice to use cruise control or focus on other driving tasks than driving around a weak TC/trans. Above 1800 rpms it does not happen. (I'm guessing there's sufficient line pressure to hold by that point.) Harder pulls in 5th on long interstate hills are fine if I'm going a little faster, ~65 mph.

Trans otherwise seems to work fine, so I'm guessing I haven't sent clutch material throughout it yet. It's usually a jump of around 50 to 100 rpm with a distinctly different sound and feel, and my brain quickly backs off the throttle and it goes right away. Cruising at 60mph in 4th would avoid it but that just seems kind of busy for sustained cruising. Trans temps are never more than 100 over ambient (using obd readout.) Today was 75 out and it never got over 155.

I'm guessing this is TC slip and not C3 slip because it never has gone to limp. I don't have a shop/lift to pull the trans, so if I'm paying to have the TC done, seems like time to do a full trans. We believe the truck/trans has just shy of 300,000 miles on it.

Other than driving to No Zone in Ohio, are there reputable builders somewhere between PA and SC? If there isn't a good builder, I guess my next best bet is to find a shop that will install a prebuilt unit from the likes of ATS or duramaxtuner?

Truck is basic bolt ons (intake and exhaust), stock fuel and turbo, with basic DSP-5 tune package. I don't romp on the truck. It'll never see a sled pull, tires taller than 33 inches, or a burnout. Truck does its hardest work pulling a trailer on hills in 4th and 5th. If we upgrade trailers someday, combined weight could be closer to 19,500.

Should I try a bottle of HotShotSecret trans additive in the interim and see if I can get another year of recreational towing out of it?

@Bdsankey ?

Thank you for the suggestions.

Last edited:

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Where is your actual location? There used to be some good shops down that way but I can't name any off the top my head. Seems like a waste to drive way over towards Cincinnati.

Skip any kind of additive, it won't help. And definitely skip the ATS thought

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
@Bdsankey might be able to help you with a prebuilt unit. I believe he has his own line as well as SDP and Randy's for pre built units.

As mentioned skip the ATS unit. I am not sure if the Duramax Tuner unit is any better.

Only other one I would pay up for, is one of Evan's unit through Inglewood Transmissions.

Sorry, I don't know who the good East Coast Builders are.

Reactions: 2004LB7

johnmyster

Nov 6, 2023
Lynchburg, Virginia
I'm in Lynchburg, VA. I doubt there's going to be anybody here. Richmond, Roanoke, and Greensboro NC, are equidistant. The truck has been doing this for awhile. I'd trust it to make an unloaded trip, which is the appeal of getting it done quickly at a builder/installer, perhaps even one that could have a core prepped before I make the drive. That said, I'd rather not drive to Ohio if there's a solid option closer. Maryland is not a bad drive.

Are there bad experiences from ATS? Corners cut?

It does appear a local "diesel performance" shop installs Suncoast and BD units.

The SDP webpage had me sold on their base 550 build until I saw WA. I guess they're still an option but it adds the cost/hassle of separate shipping, core return, and install. Keeping the cost reasonable would be nice but it is what it is. There will always be "next" thing on this truck, but it's rust free and lots of little things have been done. It seems worthy of a solid trans to keep it reliable as a family recreation workhorse.

I assume I'm a pretty basic stock+ build customer? Extra clutches and basic valve body mods, better converter, etc? I don't feel like I need a higher stall converter. Any reason to avoid a Goerend C? I assume opting for the Goerend oiler plate would help C3 have a long, happy life given the brunt of our towing work seeps to be done across 3/4/5? I'd like to do this and the transfer case and never worry about anything behind the flex plate again.

Last edited:

johnmyster

Nov 6, 2023
Lynchburg, Virginia
Also, I'm assuming based on my reading that a transgo jr kit would do nothing for TC holding power (does not increase TC lockup apply pressure) even if the thing was still in good shape. Is this true?

If the trans is otherwise healthy and I'm not an abusive driver, am I a good candidate to not do a complete transmission and just pay to have an LML converter put installed?

Last edited:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Transgo jr is also pretty involved with the 6 speed Allison. You have to pull the transmission and open it up to install it. Unlike the 5sp which is just the valve body. So if you are having to open up the transmission to do some mods, may as well drop in some new clutches and other goodies

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
If you found a shop that's good with transmissions in general, you can get by with a budget build using the kits sold through McLoed. All seals and bearings plus the Raybestos clutch kits for right around a grand. Throw a transgo Jr in on top and mod the converter valve and off you go. I've done this with a couple roll backs for a local towing company, owner was tickled since a reman allison from the dealer was big $$$.

The LML converter is a cheap option, but some people don't like the way they drive? There's a few places that do billet single disk converters. On the other hand, buy once cry once

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I'm in Lynchburg, VA. I doubt there's going to be anybody here. Richmond, Roanoke, and Greensboro NC, are equidistant. The truck has been doing this for awhile. I'd trust it to make an unloaded trip, which is the appeal of getting it done quickly at a builder/installer, perhaps even one that could have a core prepped before I make the drive. That said, I'd rather not drive to Ohio if there's a solid option closer. Maryland is not a bad drive.

Are there bad experiences from ATS? Corners cut?

It does appear a local "diesel performance" shop installs Suncoast and BD units.

The SDP webpage had me sold on their base 550 build until I saw WA. I guess they're still an option but it adds the cost/hassle of separate shipping, core return, and install. Keeping the cost reasonable would be nice but it is what it is. There will always be "next" thing on this truck, but it's rust free and lots of little things have been done. It seems worthy of a solid trans to keep it reliable as a family recreation workhorse.

I assume I'm a pretty basic stock+ build customer? Extra clutches and basic valve body mods, better converter, etc? I don't feel like I need a higher stall converter. Any reason to avoid a Goerend C? I assume opting for the Goerend oiler plate would help C3 have a long, happy life given the brunt of our towing work seeps to be done across 3/4/5? I'd like to do this and the transfer case and never worry about anything behind the flex plate again.
There are a some reports out there that the ATS did not live up to what was expected and there customer service or lack there of after the sale is a dissapointment. I know some one opened up a failed unit a few years back and it did not have all the stated parts in it.
I don't know if anything has changed since then.

Suncoast and BD would be a much wiser option than ATS...

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Transgo jr is also pretty involved with the 6 speed Allison. You have to pull the transmission and open it up to install it. Unlike the 5sp which is just the valve body. So if you are having to open up the transmission to do some mods, may as well drop in some new clutches and other goodies
Transgo Jr is trim valves only.

Bbuchanan11

Sep 9, 2011
Sarver, PA
You may be thinking of the kit that comes with the converter valve or whatever it’s called… the transmission has to be removed to replace it.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
You may be thinking of the kit that comes with the converter valve or whatever it’s called… the transmission has to be removed to replace it.
Maybe but we were specifically talking about the transgo kit. Is there a transgo senior kit? If so maybe I was mixing them up