LB7: Lookin to increase boost

Rico

Wheeler
Oct 21, 2012
Burlington, ON
So I've been toying around with the idea of increasing boost a bit. I see PPE has a boost valve which seems pretty straight forward but wouldn't you also want run a bigger waste gate actuator to retain the additional boost? The truck is a daily driver that tows occasionally and keeping the EGT's down is an attractive benefit but don't want to push the turbo too hard. Not runnin WOT everywhere but would like the power when necessary. Truck also has 130k miles with the stock turbo so not sure if I should stay away from it all together. Thanks!

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
I bought my truck with 130k and the boost valve was one of my first mods. You won't need a bigger wastegate. The valve restricts boost to the gate which means you'll need more boost to open the gate. It will not affect the gate at all.

Rico

Wheeler
Oct 21, 2012
Burlington, ON
Why not just have rob give you some hotter tunes if you want more power.

Yeah, I could, but I guess I was lookin for additional mods to make more power.

I bought my truck with 130k and the boost valve was one of my first mods. You won't need a bigger wastegate. The valve restricts boost to the gate which means you'll need more boost to open the gate. It will not affect the gate at all.

Gotcha. Seems like they perform the same duty by keeping the waste gate shut longer to build boost but do it 2 different ways if I'm understanding this correctly?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Dont waste your time with an aftermarket wastegate actuator. IMO, not worth the time.

Just buy a boost valve and have fun. Cheap and easy. :)

Rico

Wheeler
Oct 21, 2012
Burlington, ON
Dont waste your time with an aftermarket wastegate actuator. IMO, not worth the time.

That's the plan! :thumb: Thanks! And I've been lookin into the ported intake horn as well. Thanks again for the input guys!

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
Just cause you couldnt get it adjusted right ;)
If anybody is going to buy a wategate actuator get the BD, cheaper than the banks & comes with the adjustable turn buckle
That's the plan! :thumb: Thanks! And I've been lookin into the ported intake horn as well. Thanks again for the input guys!
go with the profab airhorn over the ported stock horn

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
Remember you want mass flow of air, not boost. They are not the same thing. while the boost valve is worth it, don't try to get creative and get more PSI out of the stock turbo above what an unmodified boost valve gets you. I have seen people try to drill the hole bigger or unhook the wastegagte, all that does is overdrive the crap out of the turbo hurting it, and pushing it outside of it's MAP making hot air not mass flow.

Rico

Wheeler
Oct 21, 2012
Burlington, ON
So increasing the ability for the turbo to breathe in and out, not just fool it into making more boost with restricted airways?

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
About the most you can get out if the stock turbo is 32 psi. It will not last very long pushing it that hard. 28 psi holds up okay. I would go to a different charger if I wanted more power period.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Just cause you couldnt get it adjusted right ;)
If anybody is going to buy a wategate actuator get the BD, cheaper than the banks & comes with the adjustable turn buckle

go with the profab airhorn over the ported stock horn

That was part of it, AJ. Burnt fingers at the track werent fun. I still wouldnt recommend one even with the turnbuckle.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Logging my lb7 with gate hooked up at 26 psi, that was the highest I saw as far as mass air flow. Un hook the waste gate like the good ol' Cummins boys to "up the boost" and logging it again, I saw 0 change in mass air flow at 32 psi.

That goes to show the stock turbo isn't any "better" at 32psi than it is at 26 psi.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
Logging my lb7 with gate hooked up at 26 psi, that was the highest I saw as far as mass air flow. Un hook the waste gate like the good ol' Cummins boys to "up the boost" and logging it again, I saw 0 change in mass air flow at 32 psi.

That goes to show the stock turbo isn't any "better" at 32psi than it is at 26 psi.

Exactly. Pushing it out of the map will mostly induce heat. Since heated air takes up more space (or CFM) you are not flowing more oxygen molecules (mass flow) just making hot air that takes up more space and thus a higher PSI. So no more air to burn than before, but your turbo is working a lot harder, more heat in the stack, higher EGTs and more backpressure.