LONG Cranking time to start

wzschirnt

Jan 19, 2015
Hi,

2006 LLY. 225k miles. Bone stock.

I had new injectors and fuel head done about a month ago. Before all that, the truck would start after 1 revolution of the starter. Hot, cold, whatever. Now, after sitting a day or 2, it takes 5 seconds, literally, of starter cranking to start engine. When warm, it takes anywhere from 2-3 seconds. NEVER the less than 1 second of the old days. I'm thinking this will result in a starter replacement shortly!! Truck also seems to be "weaker" than before when towing, but may just be my paranoia!!
Took back to garage for testing. Injectors are at about 27k pressure, no codes. Place that did the work says it is normal for "things to change" after this type of work. But, come on(!), this is a bit much!
No leaks visible around fuel head (but sucking air?). It acts like the pressure in the rails is bleeding off when shut down, but I don't know if the system is supposed to 'keep up the pressure'.
Any ideas?

Thanks
walt z.

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
Does the primer bulb go soft between shutdown and startup? How many times do you need to pump it before it gets rock hard again?

Why did you change all the injectors and filter head in the first place?

wzschirnt

Jan 19, 2015
Does the primer bulb go soft between shutdown and startup? How many times do you need to pump it before it gets rock hard again?

Why did you change all the injectors and filter head in the first place?

DING DING DING!! Just went and checked primer, soft as a 70 year old guy (don't ask how I know!). Pumped about 6 or more times to get hard, but then I saw it is leaking around where the wires are coming out of the top of the head. I had been smelling fuel when I drove it. Must have put a bad new filter head on.
I guess the shop and I have something to talk about tomorrow!!

Originally did injectors and head because truck threw P0087 code, went into 'limp home mode', had several 'weak' injectors. They were originals. Did filter head because they 'have to move it anyway to get at injectors' and the mileage.

So, we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Thanks,
walt z.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The primer pump will always be soft after being shut off.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
DING DING DING!! Just went and checked primer, soft as a 70 year old guy (don't ask how I know!). Pumped about 6 or more times to get hard, but then I saw it is leaking around where the wires are coming out of the top of the head. I had been smelling fuel when I drove it. Must have put a bad new filter head on.
I guess the shop and I have something to talk about tomorrow!!

Originally did injectors and head because truck threw P0087 code, went into 'limp home mode', had several 'weak' injectors. They were originals. Did filter head because they 'have to move it anyway to get at injectors' and the mileage.

So, we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Thanks,
walt z.

It won't be rock hard as it's under vacuum but it shouldn't take a ton of pumps to build pressure. If you see a leak you just found your problem.

wzschirnt

Jan 19, 2015
Went to shop this am. They said "yep, that's a problem". New filter head
going on tomorrow and we'll go from there.

walt z.