LMM strange noise when under load

easys4.2gq

Sep 28, 2010
I have a 2008 LMM dmax in my Nissan, 2 days ago it started making a lot of noise when revs are over about 1700.
It sounds like a leaky intercooler pipe - I have checked all these
Disconnected air box to make sure everything is clean

I tried unplugging the turbo vane position sensor and it doesn't seem to make any difference to the noise

Hope these videos work... Any ideas would be appreciated

Cheers
Elliot

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
i had same issue on my 08 LMM, chased it forever, it ended up being the heat shield on driver side up pipe, had to stick a crow bar up there and make a slight pressure bend in shield to stop rattle, it would only do it under load at certain rpms, i could hear it on freeway then it would go away then if you had enough torque at a light it would come back for a bit then leave, very frustrating, hope you this helps.:thumb:

easys4.2gq

Sep 28, 2010
I know it can't be up pipe heat shields as they arn't fitted had to wrap them. There are a lot of other heat shields etc so I'll have a look at all of them

Thanks

Chucky797

Oct 30, 2013
New Bern, NC
Have you checked the pullies? You could always take the belt off and rev it up to see if the noise is gone. If it is, then check each pulls for play or noise

easys4.2gq

Sep 28, 2010
I have had a good look through all the pulleys belt, heat shields etc and they are good. Putting my ear close to the turbo the noise get louder and I am pretty sure it's coming from it.

Engine has about 60,000 miles on it so not that old

I'm going to try find a turbo position sensor and see what difference it makes

Thanks

james.queen.16

Mar 14, 2015
I had a cracked manifold to up pipe gasket that sounded like blowing across a giant blade of grass... Videos didn't work for me either so this is a total guess, but that was my gremlin. Looked for it forever, thought it was my egr delete kit because that's when it started, when I replaced my stock up pipe for the lb7 pipe.
Good luck, that stuff will drive a guy crazy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

james.queen.16

Mar 14, 2015
4e5506b0877665eca35d0bab38b70cdc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easys4.2gq

Sep 28, 2010
Thanks guys, I eventually found a small patch of soot near where the egr used to live. I put a plate over the open end of the up pipe and it has eventually cracked on the bellows part - I pushed it and.......

Cut off, welded up and wrapped

Cheers guys for the help :thumb:

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
Thanks guys, I eventually found a small patch of soot near where the egr used to live. I put a plate over the open end of the up pipe and it has eventually cracked on the bellows part - I pushed it and.......

Cut off, welded up and wrapped

Cheers guys for the help :thumb:
Yea that will do it! In hindsight should have used a plate that had another bolt hole for mounting to the old egr mount to support the bellows.

Nice job on the repair.