Lmm engine replacement 2008/2009

peaceofwork

Dec 31, 2022
Just a guy imitating a mechanic, I have swapped in a 2009 motor and transmission and tcm into a 2008 3500.
the truck runs well but I do have a few questions and codes.
#1 if I put 09 motor into an 08 truck should I run the 09 ecm ?
#2 possibly the original 09 ecm will recognize the 09 engines injectors?
#3 will the bcm recognize the different 09 ecm? - will a key relearn solve this?
what do I need to know I have a lot of stuff to learn I’m sure so I’m asking what works what’s practical?

Attachments

• FD4600DD-BEC1-4C93-B2AB-F94BA7741435.jpeg
    FD4600DD-BEC1-4C93-B2AB-F94BA7741435.jpeg
    450.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 55060832-C1F6-4CA8-8878-25375BB6779D.jpeg
    55060832-C1F6-4CA8-8878-25375BB6779D.jpeg
    334.3 KB · Views: 13

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Are you swapping in the electronics too or just the engine? If you just swap the engine and keep the electronics then you won't have to do any programming or relearning

peaceofwork

Dec 31, 2022
Im very curious to know if the glow plug controller and the number or flow rates from injectors are working with a ecu specifically unique to them.

peaceofwork

Dec 31, 2022
04lb7, thank you for your thoughts.
I asked these questions because I have codes relating to every injector I forget what they all are right now but tomorrow I’ll get em and post them.
while we are talking electronics…
I do have the 09 glow plug controller in the truck now and the 09 tcm, going by what you have said I can just put all 08 electronics back in the truck.
do you guys talk about things like
lift pump
transgo jr
h&s
big up pipes
big down pipe
big exhaust
ybridge
i new to this and considering to get a diagnostic scan but wanted to take a workable combination into a shop.
right now the truck starts fast don’t smoke and blasts through the gears and feels like its to much fun. Their is int any reduced power mode after replacing the MAF

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
You can use the 09 ecm and tcm but you'll need to update the vin stored in them to prevent security issues and pass smog. If you get the security issue then you can do the relearn procedure to get the ecm pared with the bcm and get the vehicle to start

The injector codes are stored in both the ecm and the glow plug controller. EFI live can copy over one to the other but can't write new ones. If you can put the 08 glow plug controller in you can use that to copy them over to the ecm. Then put the 09 controller back in and copy from the ecm into the 09 controller. If there is a mismatch between the two there will be codes. The ecm doesn't actually know what the actual injector codes are and it's assumed that the codes will get updated when new injectors are installed. But as long as the glow plug controller and ecm are the same that should keep the two happy. Having the correct codes should in theory make the engine idle smoother but I think it would be hard to tell the difference. It also should make the balance rates slightly more accurate

For your parts upgrade list, we have plenty of threads covering just about everything. Basically if it doesn't involve asking for help on defeating emissions equipment then we discuss it. Due to the epa crackdowns, fines, etc we can't really help anyone there

peaceofwork

Dec 31, 2022
Right on 04lb7, I’m thinking that over hard .
would I need to take the truck and other ecm and glow plug controller to a dealer or find someone who can put a efi live information into it?
would I need to buy efi live licence for my vin# ?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Anyone with efi live V2 or V3 should be able to do it. I don't think it requires a license for that function. Or the dealership. I don't know if any other scanners or tools can do it

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
You don't need any of the 2009 computers, except the gpcm. With that connected, you could use a tech2, evilive v2 or v3 (I think the autocals can do it too) to copy the injector values from the gpcm to the ecm, then you could either leave the 09 gpcm, or put the 08 one back and then copy the injector values from the ecm to the 08 gpcm. Doing this with a v2 or v3 does not require a license.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

peaceofwork

Dec 31, 2022
Thanks a lot guys none of the local dealerships would give me a straight answer to direct questions, I was hearing things like they never had much luck downloading anything into a stock ecm so they would order me a new ecm with my vin downloaded into it.
or bring it in it would be about 5 hrs at 180.00@ hr .
of course I asked to do what ? And what’s the most logical way to get a good working system ? I really don’t think they even knew whats what.
is this tec2 or efi live the kind of tools I should just buy and learn to use my self or better to find a performance diesel shop / professional to handle it ? I don’t have any buddy’s running efi live

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
You could also just run all of the original 08 computers, in which case the flow rates would match in the ecm and gpcm, but I don't know if the values in the computers being different from the actual flow rates would cause any issues.

Any shop with a Tech 2 should be able to copy the flow rates in like 15 minutes. And that 15 minutes is including the time it would take to get the Tech 2, walk to your truck, copy the values and return the Tech 2 to its 'home'.

Where about are you located? Maybe there's a member nearby that has the tools to help you.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
If you plan to keep this truck, and/or work on any other GM vehicles, it might be worth your while to pick up a MDI2 clone off fleabay. They're usually under $300, come with some form of GDS2 and Tech2Win, and supposedly work the same as a legit MDI2, and the software doesn't expire (supposedly). I personally am not a fan of the clones because of a friend getting burned by a clone and have a legit Tech2 and MDI2, but I've heard the clones usually work fine.

peaceofwork

Dec 31, 2022
I do plan to keep the truck, i have a lot of time effort and cash into this project. I swapped the motor and transmission in the driveway myself and try to make it all a little better than stock.
joining this site cleared up a few big mysteries, thanks a lot guys

peaceofwork

Dec 31, 2022
If you plan to keep this truck, and/or work on any other GM vehicles, it might be worth your while to pick up a MDI2 clone off fleabay. They're usually under $300, come with some form of GDS2 and Tech2Win, and supposedly work the same as a legit MDI2, and the software doesn't expire (supposedly). I personally am not a fan of the clones because of a friend getting burned by a clone and have a legit Tech2 and MDI2, but I've heard the clones usually work fine.

My son has HP tuner can it do the job On the duramax?

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
So may i ask why you put the 2009 electronics in to start with? Unless there are problems with one or the other i would keep the original 2008 ECM and use the GPCM that came with the engine to copy over the new flow rates into the original ECM. I may be wrong here but i dont think the GPCM will need security programmed.

peaceofwork

Dec 31, 2022
I bought the 08 truck with a knocking engine, then bought 09 motor transmission and electronics.
after installing 09motor with 09 glow plug controller unit and all the other 08 electronics the trucks shifting seemed les than awesome so I tryed the 09 tcm.
I had a few codes and MAP sensor problem , low power mode so new map sensor and put back the 08 tcm now and did a transmission relearn.
now days the trucks running good and no codes but I do have a check engine light so I presume tomorrows diagnostic scan will tell me a few things.
I had thought if I put 09 motor with 09 injectors in a 08 truck the injector codes or flow rates would somehow need to get to know the 08 system?
now it’s all working pretty good and I’m questioning my 189.00 appointment for a diagnostic scan tomorrow mourning but I guess I might as well figure out the cel