LMM A/C issues

Mac Daddy

Apr 25, 2008
Mont Belvieu,TX.
A/C works fine for 5-8 minutes then starts blowing warm air. If I turn off ignition and open driver door then restart truck it will blow cold again for a little while then warm again. Took it to a mechanic and A/C checked out with no problems and blend doors were working properly, he said it needed an update from Chevy. The truck is 11 years old with 247K miles I don't see how an update from Chevy would help. Anyone ever had this issue?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Found out the magnet on the AC was weak...replaced compressor and works fine now.

The magnet was probably fine(it's just an electro magnet coil), the clutch gap was probably too large for it to pull closed when hot. This is a common issue on anything with more than 100k miles. I've lost track of how many clutches I've re-gapped for people that other shops said needed a new clutch or a whole compressor. Yes a new clutch/compressor "fixxes" it, but removing a shim works just as good 99% of the time, and can normally be done in under 30 minutes with zero parts cost VS a few hundred for a comprrssor.