LML with a blown motor

Brshan01

Aug 19, 2013
Zimmerman, MN
As the title states, I lost my motor last Thursday and looking for some insight from people that may have gone down this road before. Keeping in mind this truck is my only vehicle and I need it to tow a camper cross country occasionally.

Truck-
2012 Denali CCSB - 6-8" CST lift with a 4-8" Kelderman rear air ride 37" tires
Fuel Exergy 10mm, fass 150, 40% over reworked stock injectors
Wehrli s300 Kit with an s369, manifolds and up pipes, ARP head studs, mishimoto Intercooler, ppei tuning and trans from Mike L

I just spent over 15k on the truck 4K miles ago to have the head gaskets done and swap from a s475 compound kit to the single (with extras) so at this point I was ready to puke when the motor went.

I'm wondering what some of the guys with built motors might have for insight, how far should I go on this build and what should I look at for parts or even a builder? How reliable is a built motor in this power range? I'm not looking to change turbos provided someone can actually get it tuned right for me. And that said, I'm not even sure I want to keep the truck after the motor is done, I have over 100k in this truck already and I'm not looking to go all out on a motor unless it's going to be trouble free for years and hundreds of thousands of miles.

Brshan01

Aug 19, 2013
Zimmerman, MN
Thanks DirtyDmax - that's kinda what I figured the answer would be but not the one I was hoping for. I can't justify going back to stock power now, I've got too much in it. I might just jump ship and toss in a rebuilt then buy a stock truck :confused:

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Kinda passed trouble free when the 10 mm cp3, 40 overs, 369 went on. That's enough for lots of power. If you keep that around the 400hp mark and treat it good the stock motor should last a long time but turn it up with that list of goodies and nothing lasts

I'd do better rods and pistons, maybe an alternative firing order cam and call it a day. Keep the power level down around stock area, 400hp, and it should live a good life

nick31

Apr 14, 2016
Nick - getting onto 169 S from 101 I got on it hard from 35-85 and it lost cyl 4&8, limped into the SA and towed it to Jags.

Damn man that really sucks....I am currently in the process of selling my truck and buying a new base model work truck. Not because anything is wrong with mine, but I have some plans and a 600 hp truck wouldn't be ideal for what I'll be using it for.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Buy a used motor, ditch the stroker cp3 and 40 overs and drive the hell out of it. Its hard to kill one on stock fuel. Don't put another 10k in it, you will own it forever or loose your ass on it..

Digmax

Jan 23, 2016
When you say you lost cylinder 4&8 do you know what happened? Like bent rods or injectors or head gaskets or what? Also did you swap to 369 from a 475 over stock and if so who was doing your tuning..... got my attention for sure as have an lml with 10 mm pump and 475 over stock......

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Brshan01

Aug 19, 2013
Zimmerman, MN
Yikes, sounds like it's pretty much a unanimous decision that I won't be able to run any power while still holding onto any reliability.

I haven't seen much for used motors at a decent price, if I end up deciding to rebuild this one will upgrading anything (rods/Pistons) help with longevity or the ability to hold more power or is it a crap shoot at that rate? I don't really want to go backwards and start scrapping parts so maybe I do a very mild build then sell it shortly after. As long as I'm this screwed I figured it might be nice to get back into a stock height truck out of the deal.

When I said I lost cyl 4&8 I pulled codes saying cylinder 4/8 contribution/balance - motor will still turn over and run on 6cyl but it's very rough and white smoke so I'm guessing the motor is structurally ok but won't know anything until they start breaking it down.

Brshan01

Aug 19, 2013
Zimmerman, MN
Digmax - I installed a s475 / stock kit on the 10mm cp3 and stock injectors a year ago in March - Jags noticed the HG's were bad around April of this year then I decided to have them swap me to the single while the cab was off.

All of my tuning has been through PPEI since EFI became available - I was running HS before that. Tuning wasn't good on the s369 - it seemed like it needed trans tuning but Mike L said to leave it alone and figure out the ECM side to fix it.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
When I said I lost cyl 4&8 I pulled codes saying cylinder 4/8 contribution/balance - motor will still turn over and run on 6cyl but it's very rough and white smoke so I'm guessing the motor is structurally ok but won't know anything until they start breaking it down.
From the sounds of it, you cracked a piston. How many miles was on the truck? Figure out a plan for what you want the truck to do, at what power level and how long your going to keep it, then stick to that plan. Too many people build a budget truck to run 700-800 HP MAX(aftermarket rods and stock delipped pistons) then try to run 1200 HP threw it and get upset when it breaks.

Digmax

Jan 23, 2016
LmL' s are a lot less likely to crack pistons than previous models.......but just speculation at this point

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
50,000 miles on my built motor. Lived its entire life at 700rwhp and I'm not nice to it. Keep the torque out of it down low and it'll live.

LmL' s are a lot less likely to crack pistons than previous models.......but just speculation at this point

They crack them more often than you'd think.

Digmax

Jan 23, 2016
Not saying they don't..... just less likely. A stock lml at 700 vs lb7, big difference