LML white smoke

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
My 2015 LML is still stock as it has 34,XXX miles, i am about to go w a switch and 5 tunes and exhaust and what not but today i noticed i cloud of white smoke after getting on it on to the FWY. Tip is clean and i have not noticed it untill now (have had truck for about 3,XXX miles. I did finally have to add DPF fluid and used the only brand that MAVERICK carries here in SLC as i assume most of town uses this.

Have you seen white smoke from the fluid if it happens to be in a re-gen at the same time?

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Feel any loss in power? Notice more regens then usual? Can you look at balance rates?

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
seems to be the same stock dog she always was. I just have the OBD II code ready and clearer, dont think it will give me rates. Could it be unburden DPF fluid?

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
I regularly see huge plumes of white smoke when I’m in regen and getting on it, sometimes it will be so dens it will completely block my view of all the vehicles behind me. The DEF and 9th injector have nothing to do with each other, other than the fact they are both part of the emissions system.

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
The ninth injector injects diesel into the exh pipe to bring the exhaust gases up to a higher temperature, The DEF dosing injector will not dose until a regen process takes place So it can reduce nox Emissions it's usually found near the SCR and DPF filters
Sounds like you're having a over fueling issue take it back to the dealer it's under warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T2CH

<<<Me...Not My Wife...
Apr 30, 2008
Charlottesville, Va
I get the white smoke when I get on my 16 toward the end of a regen. My '11 did it as well past 100k.
Mine isn't road blocking though, just a good haze. You might want to have it checked at the dealer if its that bad.

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
it only did it bad once, then i got it to do it a little more one the freeway and now it is all clear , seems it was right at the end of the re-gen.

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
The ninth injector injects diesel into the exh pipe to bring the exhaust gases up to a higher temperature, The DEF dosing injector will not dose until a regen process takes place So it can reduce nox Emissions it's usually found near the SCR and DPF filters
Sounds like you're having a over fueling issue take it back to the dealer it's under warranty

This is incorrect. The DEF is always being injected and used while the truck is running, as long as it’s not frozen. 9th injector only injects fuel during a regen to heat exhaust and to burn off accumulated mass in the DPF.

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
Let me rephrase DEF will dose more during a regen ,
NOx is only created under HIGH temp/HIGH pressure. Def should only be injected after both the engine and Exhaust heat up. In very small quantities , 50:1 ratio for every 50 gallons of diesel 1 gallons of DEF is used ,There are several temps sensors in the exhaust ,Def will only react like it is supposed to (with SCR catalyst) under high temps.

The sixth injector is located before the DOC and Will only dose fuel if temps are not high enough

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
Let me rephrase DEF will dose more during a regen ,
NOx is only created under HIGH temp/HIGH pressure. Def should only be injected after both the engine and Exhaust heat up. In very small quantities , 50:1 ratio for every 50 gallons of diesel 1 gallons of DEF is used ,There are several temps sensors in the exhaust ,Def will only react like it is supposed to (with SCR catalyst) under high temps.

The sixth injector is located before the DOC and Will only dose fuel if temps are not high enough

And no white clouds of smoke is not normal especially while driving

Noticeable smoke while the truck is parked is normal ( during a regen)

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
This is incorrect. The DEF is always being injected and used while the truck is running, as long as it’s not frozen. 9th injector only injects fuel during a regen to heat exhaust and to burn off accumulated mass in the DPF.

You are correct sir. Most of the time you have a Haze during a region is because you have a cracked DPF and it is allowing the particles to escape the exhaust the white smoke you see is also unburnt diesel fuel that escapes through the cracks.

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
You are correct sir. Most of the time you have a Haze during a region is because you have a cracked DPF and it is allowing the particles to escape the exhaust the white smoke you see is also unburnt diesel fuel that escapes through the cracks.

Perfect, now i have a even better excuse to run my straight 5" and make her LOUD :thumb::woott::thumb::woott::thumb::woott: