LML Torque Converter Recommendations?

FSUwelder1212

Oct 18, 2012
Hi guys, I'm currently looking into a built trans for my 2013 and was hoping some of you guys may be able to recommend a torque converter for my application. My truck is currently tuned by PPEI and has a cp3 conversion, wehrli y bridge/intercooler pipes and up pipes, with airdog, and flo pro exhaust. It is also lifted 5 inches on 35s w/ stock 3.73 gears. I am looking for something to give me a more responsive low end. I have been reading up everything I can find on torque converters for the LML but theres not much out there. Based on my research I am looking at the following:

• Goerend R
  • Goerend X
  • Suncoast 1074
  • Limitless 1078
I understand how a convertor works and what brake stall is but can't quite seem to grasp how that all correlates to daily driving. So I am hoping some of the experts can chime in.

I am probably sticking with stock turbo for a while but may in the future look at S475 over stock or running an S366sxe as a single. I am not sure If there is a converter that will do what I want and allow me room to grow and work well with either of those 2 set ups in the future?

Thanks For the help!

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Who is building it

I'd recommend the 1078. It's a blast. And should do just fine with either turbo you're thinking of.

If you were go to a big single you would need something looser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
You need to talk to some builders. Fwiw the R was designed to be put in an lml. It's a nice converter too I have it in my lb7 and I love it, it couples really well

FSUwelder1212

Oct 18, 2012
I'm not sure who will be building it yet, most likely wehrli or Danville. I would love to have a trans from Mike or Evan but adding shipping and core on top of an already substantial outlay for me is probably a bit more than I can or should spend with a wedding coming up to pay for. I just want to go into this with some background/knowledge on it so I get exactly what I'm looking for, for example wehrli typically uses only suncoast so they don't have a lot of knowledge/experience on goerends offerings.

The R has been at the top of my list based on research but I was worried it may be a bit loose for stock turbo, however if Mike recommends it, it must be good

I was looking at the X because I thought the lower stall speed may be better with stock turbo than the R, but I'm a newb w/ convertors and am probably wrong.

The 1074 I just threw out so I could get some feedback on suncoast offerings, I've read it works well w/ the LML

The 1078 seems to be touted as the end all be all of converters, but there doesn't seem to be much info w/ it on LMLs

As far as tuning, I think I'm about as responsive on the low end as I can get, I pestered PPEI quite a bit to get it where it is and it's about 90% where I want it, I'm just hoping a converter can get me that extra 10%. If I can get what I want out of it, I will likely stick with stock turbo, but If not, I'll likely be looking to upgrade my air set up. So this is kind of a crucial decision for me that will dictate what direction I go with the truck in the future. I also plan to have the truck live tuned in the spring when I do trans. Thanks guys!

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I'm not sure who will be building it yet, most likely wehrli or Danville. I would love to have a trans from Mike or Evan but adding shipping and core on top of an already substantial outlay for me is probably a bit more than I can or should spend with a wedding coming up to pay for. I just want to go into this with some background/knowledge on it so I get exactly what I'm looking for, for example wehrli typically uses only suncoast so they don't have a lot of knowledge/experience on goerends offerings.

The R has been at the top of my list based on research but I was worried it may be a bit loose for stock turbo, however if Mike recommends it, it must be good

I was looking at the X because I thought the lower stall speed may be better with stock turbo than the R, but I'm a newb w/ convertors and am probably wrong.

The 1074 I just threw out so I could get some feedback on suncoast offerings, I've read it works well w/ the LML

The 1078 seems to be touted as the end all be all of converters, but there doesn't seem to be much info w/ it on LMLs

As far as tuning, I think I'm about as responsive on the low end as I can get, I pestered PPEI quite a bit to get it where it is and it's about 90% where I want it, I'm just hoping a converter can get me that extra 10%. If I can get what I want out of it, I will likely stick with stock turbo, but If not, I'll likely be looking to upgrade my air set up. So this is kind of a crucial decision for me that will dictate what direction I go with the truck in the future. I also plan to have the truck live tuned in the spring when I do trans. Thanks guys!

I have a 1078 in my lml. It's an absolute blast. No more blowing thru the converter.

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
School me a little bit here. I don't want to hijack but I have a 58 now with my lly charger. I know it's not ideal but let's say I switched to a 78 what would I feel different? I got trans tuning from Kory and it made it much better to drive, I can be cruising go wot spools for a second or 2 then locks and I'm gone. Before trans tuning it was garbage and wouldn't lock till 55 wot

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Best way to describe it would be: your engine will feel more connected to your tires when unlocked with the 78. When you jump on it, the Rpms won't flash so high before the truck starts accelerating. Also lockup will be much smoother since the rpm differential between engine and input shaft will be less.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I wish I got my trans a little later when the 1078 was out. I started off with a Suncoast 777 and it was too much of a good thing - I could floor the truck from a dead stop and it would not even roll for a solid second and then it would move a couple feet and blow the tires off; way too tight. I remember the week it went in, I went to pull out in congested traffic and shit a break because the truck didn't get out of its own way! Between that and the stupid light throttle neck snapping lockup in 5th, I was done. I ditched that converter in a hurry.

From what I've heard, the 777 is almost the same as the 1078, but the kinks must have been worked out. I have to say that once I was rolling, the coupling was super! It made you feel that sling-shot Dmax torque when you'd lean on it, even unlocked! The 1078 should have that feel to it too.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
I wish I got my trans a little later when the 1078 was out. I started off with a Suncoast 777 and it was too much of a good thing - I could floor the truck from a dead stop and it would not even roll for a solid second and then it would move a couple feet and blow the tires off; way too tight. I remember the week it went in, I went to pull out in congested traffic and shit a break because the truck didn't get out of its own way! Between that and the stupid light throttle neck snapping lockup in 5th, I was done. I ditched that converter in a hurry.

From what I've heard, the 777 is almost the same as the 1078, but the kinks must have been worked out. I have to say that once I was rolling, the coupling was super! It made you feel that sling-shot Dmax torque when you'd lean on it, even unlocked! The 1078 should have that feel to it too.

The 777 is 1054 it's nothing like the 1078.

FSUwelder1212

Oct 18, 2012
has anyone driven the 1078 and the R converters? I am wondering if someone could give some insight into differences you may notice driving them, since they both sound like excellent choices.

FSUwelder1212

Oct 18, 2012
S Pinney, I am located in Paw Paw, Michigan. Any suggestions on reputable builders in the area? Merchant jacked up their labor rate 30% to $125/HR so I doubt I'll be going that route, but don't know of many builders in Mi. I've taken my truck to wehrli's shop a couple times now so I'll probably end up there.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
S Pinney, I am located in Paw Paw, Michigan. Any suggestions on reputable builders in the area? Merchant jacked up their labor rate 30% to $125/HR so I doubt I'll be going that route, but don't know of many builders in Mi. I've taken my truck to wehrli's shop a couple times now so I'll probably end up there.

Take it HSP I physically went there and got thier builder started on building Allisons and he has done many since. I sell them my kits to install.