Help: lly vs lbz motor build

05maxlly

need used tires
Jan 27, 2008
powhatan, va
i am kinda lost and would like to get in the right direction i have my old lly motor and was thinking of building it as i get the money but now i see everyone looking for the lbz motors and controls can some of you cutting edge duramax guys help clear it up i am looking to go 600hp daily driver am i wasting my time with the lly or is it just preference

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
At this stage, I've run both LLY parts and LBZ parts. Often a combination depending on what I have sitting around. Currently Casper is running a LLY bottom end with LBZ heads. Why? Because my previous build was an LBZ bottom end with LLY heads.

You will be fine with either.

jalanv1

Nov 21, 2007
Blairs Mills, Pa.
So if I'm understanding you guys correctly, I could put a LBZ motor in my 05, and run the bottom ( LBZ) and the top half LLY? Or 100% LBZ, with NO major headaches?

I'm in debate as well to build my LLY all out, or go with a LBZ. My truck would see more truck pulls then drags. And be a occasional weekend cruiser.

jim

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
So if I'm understanding you guys correctly, I could put a LBZ motor in my 05, and run the bottom ( LBZ) and the top half LLY? Or 100% LBZ, with NO major headaches?

I'm in debate as well to build my LLY all out, or go with a LBZ. My truck would see more truck pulls then drags. And be a occasional weekend cruiser.

jim

You'd be fine with pretty much anything; LB7, LLY, LBZ or LMM block, LBZ/LMM (or modded) CP3 and modded regulator, but you're best off staying with LLY Heads and controls (and by controls, I mean ECM/TCM/GPCM). Switching from LLY to LBZ controls would be very difficult if not impossible if you don't have the wiring diagrams and/or if you're not electronically savvy. Heck, I may even have a hard time with it and I've done something similar before!

howabout spend the time and figure out a dsp for lbzs-lmm:D i would stay with you lly just for tht reason jmo

Eh. DSP is nice, no doubt, but I suspect it is coming for the LBZ (and maybe LMM). And I don't switch tunes too often. I'd rather have a properly functioning 6-speed Alli with tap-shift and such :D.

Last edited: