LLY Vane Pos Issue

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
I'm having trouble with my own truck, I put a Fleece 63.5mm Cheetah on it. It's been setting for over a year due to needing an engine. There hasn't been a VGT charger on it since 2008.

The Vane Position Sensor is not reading correctly... It is acting like an on/off switch in the ECM (when watching with a Tech 2)... It is at 100% with it plugged in and when I slowly apply it with my hand, it goes over the half way point and drops to 0%...but on my brother's 06 it sweeps fine, I ohmed out all three wires back to the ECM and they are .1-.2 ohms...so they seem OK, can there be anything flakey in the ECM? Or do I need to check something else?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I had one doing something similar.. Would work one day and not the next.

Ended up some tech at a dealer had fat fingered the pins at the ecm and had em wallered out. Talk about a hot dog down a hall way came to mind..

Three new pins and it was good to go. (Harness side)

Check your ecm pins. What I'm sure happened it someone stuck a test pin in the harness side pin to check the wires and it was to big which in turn made the socket side to large to make good contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
I'll check that out, it's not throwing any faults and is reading what otherwise seems OK, but it just keeps cycling the actuator jumping from 0%-100%...wish I had 3 new LLY pins and wires from Ben, I'd jump from ECM directly to the connector...

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
Ok, tried an ECM from another LLY truck and Vane Position reads fine with a Tech 2...went back to my ECM and not working...

Could I have changed something in a tune that's not letting it read correctly? I can't find any sort of a Vane percentage table that I could of messed up...

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
Installed his tune in my ECM, same problem... Put my tune in his ECM and the sensor reads accurately. Looks like I have an LLY ecm only good for VGT delete.

Getting this thing back up and running has been a nightmare! First it was the injectors, then this ECM issue, which I assumed would fix the Vane Solenoid cycling constantly (but not full cycle). If I turn key on engine off, I can push in on plate opposite of actuator connector really easy and get it to read 98%, I start it and oil pressure pushes it back to 0%, and it just keeps making short/quick pulses, I try to push it in and it's tough to overcome the oil pressure and I can feel the cycling/pulses... I'm not sure what the hell is going on now!!!

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I've got an ecm like that too lol. Actually happened when I left the vane control sol unplugged during a repair. Then they drove it a couple days before they brought it back.

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
Well due to the unlimited cycling of the Turbo Vane Actuator, I swapped it with a known good one. Fixed that now too!

How do I have this luck??? Bad Actuator and bad ECM, tried my ECM in other guys truck with his tune, and Vane Percentage jumps from 100% to 0%... Nothing in between, now the search for a LLY ecm begins!

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Well due to the unlimited cycling of the Turbo Vane Actuator, I swapped it with a known good one. Fixed that now too!

How do I have this luck??? Bad Actuator and bad ECM, tried my ECM in other guys truck with his tune, and Vane Percentage jumps from 100% to 0%... Nothing in between, now the search for a LLY ecm begins!

I have one.. Came from salvage yard. I have no way to test it if its any good. If you want to try it and it works then we can talk $

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming

Ill take the bad ECM off your hands